Chapter Forty Two

DEAN'S POV

"Mr. Kamau, time to go. Your ride is here." The officer who had released River less than an hour ago yelled as he opened my cell doors.

Hope bloomed in my chest when I heard him say that. My girl had actually come through for me. I didn't know how she had pulled it off but she had.

"Is my wife here?" I asked the surprisingly nice officer.

I'd watched videos and read articles of how bad police brutality was in the US but the officer had been nothing but kind to us. It was probably because he was mixed so he took pity on me but still I was grateful.

"No." He replied shortly leading me out of the cells.

"Who came to pick me up then?" I asked him.

He did not reply, just led me outside the cell block where tow mean looking officers in uniform with the words "ICE" boldly imprinted on their chest proclaimed. I was fucked.

"Dean Kamau?" One of them called out staring me down.

"Yes sir." I nodded reminding myself to be polite.

I knew I was on the wrong and I did not want to piss them off any further if I was to get back home safely. Their presence meant that River was too late to save me or that her father had refused to help her out which I had expected. The man had been looking for a chance to get rid of me ever since I landed in LA and it had been served to him on a silver platter.

"Get your belongings. We are your ride to the airport." Officer number two replied.

"Airport?" I asked [playing dumb.

"Yes, you are going back to your country." He answered.

"So fast?"
"Mr. Kamau you are an undocumented immigrant, what did you think was going to happen? Did you want a meeting with the president or to dine with Beyonce?" Officer number one asked sarcastically.

"No sir." I nodded.

I got my stuff from the officer who had arrested us and signed my release papers.

"Good luck." He whispered as he handed me my wallet and wedding ring since that's all I had given him the previous night.

"Thanks." I nodded as I slid my ring onto my finger and pocketed my wallet.

The two officers led me out of the police station in handcuffs as if I was a criminal which I actually was and into the back of a police land cruiser. They did not waste any tome leaving the police station as they drove me to the airport away from my wife.

My waridi. I would surely miss her but at least I got the chance to say goodbye. I would be forever grateful to the officer who had given us those few minutes before River was arrested to say goodbye.

"Seriously I've got to ask, how did you manage to get into the country? We found no record of you." Officer number one asked staring at me through the steel bars separating the front and back seats.

"Rich wife, private jet." I answered honestly since there was no point in lying anymore.

"So you want us to believe that you are actually married to River Anderson, heir to the Anderson fortune." Officer number two mocked.

"I've got game I guess." I retorted.

"And a smart mouth it seems. That family is associated with the mafia you know, hell if I didn't know any better I would say they are the mafia. They are responsible for a lot or wrong doings and deaths like that shooting in the city last night. Do you have anything to say about that? Maybe if you help us, we can help you." Officer number two asked.