Chapter Thirty Five

RIVER'S POV

Saying goodbye to Dean's family had been more emotional than I thought. I hated lying to them but the truth would have been too taxing for them to handle. At least they believed us and wished us well requesting souvenirs when we got back. I didn't know when we would be back but I would make sure that I brought Dean back to them safe and sound. I would find a way to get my freedom from my father even if it was the last thing I did. I deserved to be happy with the man that I loved and my father would have to see that. He had to.

"Are you ready for this?" I asked Dean as we sat cuddled together in the backseat of the uber.

We couldn't take the Range Rover since leaving it at the airport was not an option so we had left it back at home together with the rest of our lives.

Dean had been quiet ever since we left his parents' house and the only indication that he was even with me was that he wouldn't stop rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. He was making such a huge sacrifice for me and I just wanted to make sure that he was okay every step of the way.

"I'm okay waridi. Just worried about leaving my family behind so abruptly that's all. We have never been in different countries let alone different continents." He admitted.

Dean's answer hit me hard but at least he was being honest and opening up to me. I felt guilty that I was taking him away from his family but he was my strength and without him by my side I probably would not be able to face my father.

"They will be okay and we will be back soon. We left them enough money to cover them for at least three months but hopefully it does not get to that." I encouraged even though the words were more for me than they were for Dean.

"I know and you are my family now too so I know I am exactly where I need to be." Dean replied squeezing our hands together.

Knowing that we were not in the privacy of our own car I settled for kissing Dean on the cheek and not on the lips like I really wanted to.

Earlier that morning when Dean and I woke up, we spent time in bed just cuddling and holding each other. Then we had slow, sweet and amazing sex before we took a shower and had breakfast knowing it was probably the last time we would have privacy for a while. We left after Jomo and Wangeci arrived. Everything was in place back home so we were assured that even with our abrupt leaving everything and everyone was taken care of.

"We're here sir, madam." Our driver informed us and I looked up to see that we were pulling up at the security check at the airport.

"Here goes nothing." Dean whispered.

"I love you husband, so much more than you will ever know." I confessed needing to let the words out before we faced my father.

"I love you more waridi, we are in this together." Dean replied sneaking in a quick kiss.

I smiled genuinely soaking up in his love and strength because lord knows I needed it. Getting through security was easy and after paying our driver Dean retrieved our two suitcases and it was time to embark on the next phase of our lives.

Since we were taking a private jet our check-in procedures were different than everyone else but unfortunately for us neither Dean nor I knew where to start. Luckily, we were not lost for long because we had barely walked through the entrance doors when we were approached by Gustavo and an official at the airport.

"Good morning gentlemen." I greeted politely my arm woven around Dean's protectively.

"Miss. Anderson, sorry Mrs. Kamau." Gustavo corrected himself when I gave him a pointed look.