Chapter Seven

RIVER'S POV

"Dean I've changed my mind, let's just go back to the hotel and spend all day at the pool. It's been a while since I swam."I pleaded as we stood by the side of the road waiting for a matatu.

"Oh no waridi, this was your idea so we are doing it. And besides, what are you so scared of I'm right here."He reassured me patting my arm that was clutched tightly around his.

His hold was warm and firm reassuring me that everything would be okay. Dean had been taking care of me since I arrived and I knew he wouldn't let anything bad happen to me.

"Okay, we've got this."I smiled taking a deep breath to relax.

"That's the spirit."Dean smiled encouragingly.

The matatu arrived a couple of minutes later and Dean ushered me in. We found two empty seats in the middle row and Dean let me take the window seat. I could feel the eyes of the other passengers on me but I didn't pay them any mind. I was already used to the stares anyway and I knew were just looking out of curiosity. Nobody had been rude or racist towards me. They were actually all very accommodating which I appreciated.

"Where are we going?"I whispered to Dean.

"Street food tasting."He replied with a teasing smile.

At the mention of more Kenyan delicacies, my mood was immediately uplifted. Kenyan food was amazing and after having a few new dishes I was desperate to try more.

My gaze wandered outside as I took in the sights that made up Nairobi city. I'd only been there a couple of days and even though everything had been wonderful I knew there was a negative side to it. All cities had their downsides and I was sure Nairobi was no exception.

We got stuck in traffic so I retrieved my phone to keep myself busy. I had barely unlocked it when Dean snatched it away from me and put it in his pocket.

"Hey! I was using that."I scolded.

"Rule number one of traveling in a matatu, never use your phone while stuck in traffic."Dean explained.

"Why?"I asked confused.

"It'll get a new owner that's why."Dean replied.

"So when can I use my phone while in a matatu?"I inquired.

"When it's in motion and even then you have to be careful."Dean answered.

Downside number one noted. Thieves were on the lookout waiting for the second you slipped up so that they could step in and earn their keep.

"Thanks for the warning, I'll be careful from now on. Can I have my phone back now please?"I requested Dean.

"I think I'll hold onto it a little bit longer."He replied leaving no room for an argument.

Dean had a dominant side to him that showed up once in a while when he was being protective and I found myself liking it.

"You know what, let's just get off here. We'll walk the rest of the way."Dean declared tapping the conductor on the shoulder.

I had no idea where we were but I could see the city's tallest skyscrapers in the distance so we probably weren't that far. The conductor opened the door and Dean got out first before holding his hand out for me.

"Did you already pay?"I asked Dean.

"Yes, why, do you want to refund me?"He chuckled.

"You're the one with all the money, refund yourself."I retorted.

"Sassy, Nairobi is already growing on you I see."Dean teased making me scowl at him.

"Hush now waridi, let's go. I think I know where to take you first."Dean declared as we joined the foot traffic headed into the city.