Part 7

"How was your day, love?" Harry asked after standing up from being crouched and basically attacked by Archie in hugs and kisses. He picked his briefcase back off the floor and grabbed your waist with the other hand, leaning in to give you the swiftest kiss on the cheek.

You were momentarily stunned as he slid past you like nothing happened. His greetings weren't usually like this, but maybe this was his way of not pretending like you two weren't intimate like you asked him the last time you slept together.

You shook it off and closed the door, walking after him as he entered the kitchen while loosening his tie. The sight of him reaching up to the top cabinet to grab a glass had your core clenching. Between his body flexing and his back muscles straining beneath his suit, you were having a hard time controlling yourself.

"It was good. How was yours?" You crossed the kitchen until you stood at the island bench across from him.

"Long. Boring. Just a bunch of meetings with idiots, usual shit really" he replied curtly, seemingly feeling the Monday blues as he poured himself a glass of water.

"That's good" it wasn't good, but you were too distracted and too eager to ask him the question that had been on your mind the entire day and all last night after he left your house. "So, what do you want for your birthday?"

His head snapped to you, and he looked at you like you had asked him the stupidest question in the world. "Nothing. Why would you ask something like that?"

"What do you mean why would I ask something like that? It's your birthday, I need to buy you a present. That's how birthdays work" you replied, confused about his reaction.

He chuckled and shook his head, setting his glass down into the sink before walking past you and towards the stairs. "Harry!" you exclaimed, following him with Archie hot on your heels.

"Darling, if I wanted something I'd buy it myself. I don't need anything, besides 39 isn't really a landmark birthday" he replied, looking down at you briefly across his shoulder as he ventured upstairs.

"That's not the point! It's the gesture of giving a present to someone on their birthday. Would you buy me a present if it were my birthday?" you asked, feeling a little puffed out after talking while going upstairs. You'd think doing a daily walk would improve your fitness, but the second stairs got involved you could barely breathe.

"Of course, I would" he scoffed, walking into his bedroom. You followed him without any thought about the room you were following him into. You were too focused on what to get him for his birthday to concentrate on anything else.

"Well then! Surely there's something you want" you pressed, watching him walk into his walk-in robe and slide off his suit jacket to rehang it. You followed him again, his eyes meeting yours and his brow raising at where you had ended up.

"Are you here to watch me undress, darling?" he asked, making heat rise into your chest. You could feel your cheeks redden and you were suddenly overcome with the realisation that you had followed him unprompted all the way into his bedroom, and now into his walk-in-robe where he'd be getting undressed.

"Uhm, n-no. I just want an answer" you stuttered, taking a small step back and avoiding his gaze.

He let out a sigh of amusement and stepped forward, tipping your head up by your chin so you were forced to look at him. Your breath hitched in your throat and his musky cinnamon scent sent shivers down your spine.

"Listen to me, love. The only thing I want that I can't buy myself is you, and you've already agreed to dinner with me on Wednesday so really, I've already got you, don't I?" he asked, his voice in a low murmur as he looked between your eyes, flickering down to your lips momentarily.