chapter sixteen

Nix wasn't waking up, and Spiderman was starting to get worried.

Was he actually too late?

The nurses had told him to go home and rest, but the man wouldn't leave the hurt vigilante's side. He fell asleep sometime before sunrise, one of his arms rested under his head as a pillow on the side of Nix's hospital bed, while the other gripped her hand tightly.

By now, it was no surprise to the two when one of them would take the other's arm, hug them, or do anything similar that normal coworkers wouldn't usually do.

But they were mostly alone when it came to the line of work they were in. Sure, there were other heroes, but most of them only did their job for the money and didn't actually care about the city.

As he requested, Nix's mask was still on her face, but they had to cut the lower part of it to ensure the oxygen mask was helping the vigilante breathe.

Her battle wounds were no joke, either. Even though the stab wounds Spiderman had stitched a few weeks ago were now fully healed, one of them reopened because Nix was stabbed in the same spot again, which was far more dangerous than getting stabbed anywhere else on her body.

Morning came and both the hero and the vigilante were in the same position as when the nurses left them in the room alone. The only difference was that one of the two was awake.

"Spidey," Nix called out the hero's nickname with a soft voice while lightly shaking his figure, hoping that'd wake him up sooner, "You should go home and get some actual sleep." It didn't take long for Spiderman to regain consciousness after hearing her gentle voice.

"Are you okay?" the hero worriedly asked, which made Nix crack a smile.

"Sure," she replied, not knowing whether she was actually fine or not.

"I'll go get the nurses," before he could leave, though, Nix caught onto his wrist, making him stop abruptly.

"Go home and get some sleep," Nix told him, but it sounded more like an order than a suggestion, "I'll be fine on my own."

The hero did as he was told by the vigilante, knowing she'd probably throw something at him if he came back with the nurses.

"Willow, I will be out of town for the next two weeks or so, so could you please send me all the materials?" Navy left a voice message for her best friend to read as soon as she got a hang of her phone.

"Do you need anything else, ma'am?" a nurse came out of the bathroom and placed a cup of water next to the one with forest fruit tea.

"I will call you if I need anything," Navy smiled politely. Her mask was still covering the upper half of her face, which made her feel more comfortable knowing that neither the nurses nor Spiderman found out her real identity.

She was ordered not to move around too much because most of the wounds were on her legs. Navy wasn't going to go against the doctor's orders, so she ended up falling asleep while watching a movie on the TV in her hospital room.

"Nix, wake up," a hand lightly shook her awake. She rubbed her eyes and yawned before looking at the person who interrupted her well-deserved nap.

"Didn't I tell you to go home and rest?" Nix questioned.

"It's eight in the evening, I had plenty of rest." Spiderman smiled, "I am patrolling this side of the city tonight, so I figured I'd stop by and bring you some food to make you feel better."

His kind gesture really touched her heart, but she didn't want to admit it.

"Thank you," Nix thanked the hero before digging in. They talked for a while before Spiderman had to go on patrol.

"Stay safe," Nix called out after him.

"Always."