chapter seven

Another sleepless night for Navy went by, and she couldn't deny the fact that the Friday she spent over at Willow's was one of her best decisions in a while.

"You motherfucker," Nix mumbled as she read the news from her phone.

"What did I do now?" Spiderman appeared out of nowhere.

"You didn't do anything out of the ordinary," Nix commented, looking up at the hero for a brief moment before averting her attention back to her phone screen, "Except for saying that I am worthy of the hero title on international fucking TV!" she yelled at him, her voice intimidating the poor number one hero, "What the hell were you thinking?"

"I was just praising your way of work, you shouldn't worry too much." Spiderman tried defending himself.

"And yet I made the fucking headline of New York Times where it says that we're rumored to be in an intimate relationship," Nix sighed as she placed her phone into one of the pockets of her jacket. The night was cold for some reason, even though it was almost May, so she decided to throw on a black puffer jacket so she wouldn't freeze to death, "You should've thought it through. Now that rumors are going around, bad guys might start blackmailing us with one another, and that isn't good for New York."

"I hadn't thought about that," Spiderman admitted as he scratched the back of his neck.

"I can tell," Nix scoffed at the man, "But even still, we need to have our guard up more than before."

"You sound like a thirty-year-old." Spiderman chuckled at her serious tone.

"What makes you think I'm not?" Nix asked.

"Sorry, you just seem like you could be around twenty, maybe twenty-one," Spiderman replied, not too sure of his answer, but his gut feeling told him that the masked vigilante was a little younger than him.

Bingo. Nix thought as she looked over the rooftops of New York.

"What are you doing tomorrow?" Spiderman asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Depends. What do you need?" Spiderman could feel her eyes on him even though there was nothing to prove that she was looking at him.

"If you don't have anything planned, I'd like to ask for a favor," Spiderman concluded, turning his head to look at her.

"If you're thinking of asking me if I could patrol tomorrow instead of you, you don't have to ask. I owe you for last Friday, so feel free to do whatever you want." Nix stated, making him look at her with wide eyes.

"I didn't even ask you the question and you already knew." Spiderman chuckled with a shake of his head, "You really are something else."

"You keep saying that but you have nothing to prove it," Nix smiled behind her mask.

"What do you mean I have nothing to prove it?" Spiderman asked before standing up, "You're right here. That's enough for me to prove that you are special."

"I'd take your word for it, but we both know that I don't trust you that much." Nix smiled as she took his extended hand.

"And yet you let me fall with you from the highest building in New York?" Spiderman laughed as he stood on the edge of the rooftop, Nix's hand still in his, "I doubt you don't trust me with your life."

"And you're correct."