chapter thirteen

Nix was back on duty after three weeks of not being on the streets during the night, and the lack of her presence was definitely showing.

"How are you, Spidey?" Nix asked as soon as she sensed the hero's presence on the rooftop of the One World Trade Center.

"Better now that I know your wounds have healed well," Spidey admitted as he sat down next to her.

"It's all thanks to your amazing sewing skills, really," Nix attempted to make a joke, but Spiderman's eyes glared at her through the mask, making her temporarily shut up.

"The crime rate has gone up in the last three weeks, probably because the villains know that you've been out of business," Spiderman told the vigilante, which came as no news to her.

"That only means we have more ass to kick than usual," Nix smirked under her mask, and even though the hero couldn't see her lips, he could feel the smirk playfully dancing on them, "I like the sound of that."

"I knew you'd say something stupid," the hero shook his head. It came as no surprise to him that the only thing the vigilante was thinking about was beating the shit out of villains that dared to cross her path, and as a hero, Spiderman knew he shouldn't have agreed, but Nix was right. There were too many villains lingering around for him to take it slow, they had to act as soon as possible.

"We should split up," Nix suggested before standing up and offering a hand to the hero, which he gladly took, not because he needed a hand to get up, but because he wanted to feel Nix's touch after being deprived of it for quite a long time, "That way we can cover bigger areas and catch more villains. Deal?"

"Just be a little more careful this time," Spiderman warned, making the vigilante roll her eyes, but she nodded nevertheless.

"Deal?" she asked again, getting impatient as the tingling sensation of using her power after three weeks kept urging her to get a move on.

"Deal."