chapter fourteen

"So, you keep asking me if I know someone that is qualified to be a head manager. Why is that?" Nix asked as she and Spiderman patrolled the southern part of New York. The first night after Nix got back on duty was quite successful, and they both managed to beat their high score in catching the villains.

"A friend of mine asked me if I knew someone, and I don't really like hanging out with people, so I don't know anyone," Spiderman admitted.

"Nobody comes to mind. But the business and management course at NCIT is good, or so I've heard. You should ask somebody from there." Nix noted.

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks," Spiderman said before they crossed the road.

A few bystanders came and asked Spiderman for a photo, and of course, he took a few selfies with the girls. What annoyed Nix was the fact that they asked her to take a photo of them and Spiderman, but they didn't ask her nicely. She didn't have an opinion on Spiderman's so-called fans, but these three girls really set her off.

"Sorry about that," Spiderman apologized once the three girls left, but Nix just waved her hand as if there was no need to apologize since he didn't do anything.

"You're always so stiff, Spidey," Nix complained as she massaged his shoulders, but he only let out a yelp at the sudden touch, making her retreat her hands, "It's like your mom wanted you to be the perfect child."

He didn't know what had gotten into him, but he was in a bad mood the whole week, and now he felt like his Friday night was ruined because Nix was a lot more touchy than usual. If he was his usual self, he would have liked how she was starting to open up to him more, but there was this certain fear that he'd grown too attached to the vigilante and that it would only cause him problems in the near future.

"And it's like your mom never taught you manners," Spiderman grew irritated at her non-professionalism.

"Jokes on you, Spidey," Nix's tone suddenly became a lot more serious, "I don't have a mom." Spiderman's eyes grew wide at her statement.

"I'm sorry. I didn't kn-"

"It's fine. You couldn't have known," Nix dismissed his apology with her hand, "I think we should split up for tonight, this isn't going to work." She said before teleporting to the other side of the city, where she ran into a few robbers that were just about to get away from the crime scene.

"Fuck," Spiderman cursed under his breath, "What have I done?"

Nix was soon done with the robbers and handed them over to the policemen who were close by, and they took the men away after thanking her deeply.

She wasn't initially planning on it, but her conversation with Spiderman kept lingering in her mind longer than she wanted it to. There was no doubt that his harsh tone and insensitive words hurt her, but she didn't know why.

There was nothing she could do, though, so she just patrolled the area she had teleported to until three in the morning.

"I was kind of hoping you'd be alone," a voice called out from behind her, and before she knew it, her hood was forcefully stripped off and she felt a syringe enter her neck. Just like that, New York lost one of their greatest saviors.

"It's getting annoying that you two are never alone anymore. I could have done my job a whole lot sooner if it weren't for that little boyfriend of yours."

"Not like it matters though, he will never find you now."