chapter nineteen

‎A while after Spiderman left New York, Nix became the number one hero, even though some citizens were still against that idea.

"The number one hero Nix saves a bus and the passengers from drowning in the Hudson River after the driver lost control over the steer-" Navy turned the TV screen off. She was starting to get annoyed with the title of the number one hero in New York, and that was starting to show. She managed to hide the fact that she didn't like being called a hero when she was Nix, but as Navy, the girl wanted to rip her hair out because of it.

"Why do they keep emphasizing it?" Navy asked herself, her head in her hands which were rested on her knees, "It's not like they like the fact that I'm number one."

Nix had been getting a lot of criticism lately, from the fact that she couldn't save everyone, to the rumor that speculated she was the reason Spiderman left. Nix wasn't hurt by any of it, she was irritated more than anything else. How dare they start such rumors when they don't even have an idea of what happened?

Spiderman hadn't called her number since he left New York, and Navy was somewhat happy about it. She wanted to see the hero again, but she gave him her number for the job of head manager. If he called, that would mean that he wanted Navy to work for him, and there was no possibility that such a thing could work because she'd have to leave New York too.

The fact that there had been rumors of a hero in Seoul that had the same powers as Spiderman but wore a dark blue suit instead of Spiderman's signature black one didn't help Navy's situation in the slightest.

Whenever she'd hand someone to the police, reporters would surround her asking whether she knew where Spiderman was and if that new hero was Spiderman.

Nix would always reply with the same 'I don't know' or 'I haven't heard from him since he disappeared' and it worked in the start. But now, almost two months after Spiderman's disappearance, people were starting to get suspicious of the number one hero. It wasn't that Nix was doing something suspicious or questionable, it was the fact that nobody knew where Spiderman was.

"Nix, I know that you have been asked the same question over and over again, so I will change it up a bit," one of the reporters that surrounded her in front of the police station later that evening said, making Nix mentally groan but she kept her composure and nodded for them to continue, "Is Spiderman dead?"

Nix's breath hitched. She couldn't just deny the question and say that he wasn't dead, because somebody could ask her why she was so sure about it. So, she decided to do one of the things she did best. She decided to act.

"I-I don't know," Nix said, her tone sounding sincere, and the looks on the reporters' faces gave away the fact that they were fully buying into her white lie, "I never thought about that possibility, if I were to be honest. But I suppose Spiderman is not dead, because they wouldn't be the number one hero in New York if they were that easy to catch."

She didn't exactly lie, and the reporters bought every single word that came out of her mouth.

"If you could excuse me, I have some patrolling to attend to." and with that, the number one hero disappeared.

"In conclusion, ladies and gentlemen, we still know nothing about Spiderman's current whereabouts, but we think that Nix's shell might crack soon, and we will make sure to find out the truth as soon as possible."