32. Board games

Saying I didn't expect Jason to be this nice would be like undermining him. Which is something I don't want to do. I guess it's just a nice change of pace from the gloomy, depressing atmosphere from earlier. Given the fact that not only am I in a better mood, but I also feel more at ease. Who would have guessed that Jason has this kind of effect on people?

I looked over and saw him giving me a little smile like he was waiting for me to speak. There was something I'd been meaning to ask him. Or somebody. What was it?

"By the way, I've noticed Tim's been in a lot better mood lately. I'm guessing that's because of you." He gave me a smug smile. "I mean I guess, we did have a heart-to-heart at the mall where-wait, you're inquiring about Tim?" I didn't expect him to bring him up first. I thought I'd have to try a lot harder to get him to open up about the family.

"Damnit."

"Awww, you do care!" Instead of voicing my surprise, I decided to try and annoy him a little first. "C'mon Jay, just admit it. He's basically your brother from another mother."

"Never said that I didn't care. The Lazarus pit just gave me such a messed up personality, that it's been a little hard for me to...express myself the way I want." He looked almost hesitant to continue. There was still something that was bugging me so I decided to ask him about it. "I know the Lazarus pit messed you up and heightened your emotions. Mostly the hostile and angry ones. But didn't or don't you still hold some resentment towards Bruce for not saving you?"

"That's the question, isn't it? I honestly couldn't give you an answer myself. Mostly because I do want to forgive him, but I'm so confused as to whether that's just because the old Jason is coming back or the new one's confusing my emotions. Either way, I'm not going back of my own free will till I figure it out." He didn't seem inclined to continue so I pleaded with my eyes.

"Geez, you know, you could get anything you want by just looking at someone. I bet that's your secret superpower." The old couch squeaked under us as Jason shifted. 

"Let me clarify something: I don't hate Tim. Contrary to what most people, and Tim, think." Before he could continue, I held up a finger to stop him.

"Jason. I never thought you hated Tim. Well, I take that back, I never thought you had any intentions to harm him. Or kill him. I really do think you're struggling with the after-effects of the Lazarus pit. So your hatred and anger are understandable."

He didn't say anything. He just gave me an unreadable look. Then he just continued talking.

"I have my reservations just like anyone else. I'm not staying away from my family for any terrible reason. Like I said, I'll go back when I'm ready. Besides, working alone comes with its own advantages." There it was. Proof that Jason Todd still has a heart. Family.

" Then why worry them like this?" The one question that was burning in my mind fell from my lips before I could stop myself.

"It's just my sick sense of entertaining myself." He said with a sly grin and a shrug.

I just sighed and gave him a look that said, Really?

I looked towards his raggedy TV and my face brightened up.

"No way, you have Clue! And Life! And Monopoly!" I ran over to the stand holding the TV up and grabbed the boxes of board games lying on the shelf. I picked them up and looked back at him with a goofy grin on my face. He just started chuckling at my excitement.

"Who would you even play this with?"

"Mostly Roy. Sometimes I'd try to see if I can beat myself." I just laughed at his answer.

"We should totally play these!" He looked over at his clock on the wall. "I don't know."

"C'mon, it's only 4:00, we'll be fine." He begrudgingly agreed and for the next few hours into the night, we played every single board game he owned. I didn't realize it at the time, but I think that night helped Jason a lot more than he's willing to admit.

5 hours later

"9:11!" I shouted after looking at the time after the Jenga stack fell down for the sixteenth time.

"Man, time really flew, huh?" He stood up and looked down at me.

"I'm going to be in so much trouble." I dreaded going back.

"I guess I can swallow my pride this once and accompany you to the manor. I'll even talk to Bruce and take all the blame. Course, that probably won't make your punishment any lighter." Jason liked to pretend he didn't care, but deep down he really did.

"Alright, whatever you say." I got up and walked towards the couch to put my shoes that I had discarded hours earlier back on.

"By the way, it's pretty cold out. Here, take this." He said as he finished putting his mask on and threw me one of his old brown coats.

"It's a little old and worn. And big. But it should keep you warm. C'mon, let's go." A little big was an understatement. This jacket was huge! But I put it on regardless. It smelled like cigarettes. That reminds me. He didn't smoke a single time while I was over.

He led me back down the dark corridor and ladder until we made it out of the trash-covered entrance.

He nodded his head for me to follow him and we began walking the dark streets of Downtown Gotham. It was really spooky.

I don't think Jason would have let me walk back by myself regardless of whether I had decided to argue about it or not. This is dangerous for anyone whose by themselves or doesn't have any weapon.

As we got closer to leaving this part of Gotham, Jason stopped in his tracks, causing me to bump into him. I rubbed my nose and looked around at his large form. A good 15 feet away, stood a small figure, one of which looked like it belonged to a child.

All of a sudden, a voice rang out, "So, this was where you were." I instantly recognized it and I instantly wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole.

"Crap."