8. Remember me

We finally got to the roof and saw the man in the trench coat holding a bloody knife, which I assume was the one he used to kill Lisa, in his right hand.

"Stop right there!" Damian yelled. But there wasn't really anywhere else the man could go. He was standing on the edge of the roof and to get back inside the building, he'd have to get past Damian and me. Unless he plans to-

"Don't worry. I don't plan on going anywhere." The man answered curtly with a blank stare. He looked as if he didn't just kill somebody.

"Who are you and why'd you kill that women!" Damian was trying to get answers out of him.

"My name's irrelevant, but I'll tell you anyway. It's Neil. And the reason I killed Lisa was because I felt bad for her."

"What do you mean by you felt bad for her?" I chimed in with my own question while Damian gave me a confusing look. Even under the mask, I could tell he was thinking, what is she doing?

"I used to date her. It wasn't a bad relationship. In fact, we actually broke up on good terms. But, about a year ago, I found out my sister had been murdered. Then, a few weeks ago, I found out my mom was killed in a burglary gone wrong. That's when I realized. What's the point of living a life without safety and comfort. My family lived in a terrible part of town. Kind of like this one. I knew that Lisa was living in a place like this so I wanted to kill her myself. At least then it wouldn't be a stranger."

"Then why kill her with such rage? She was stabbed so many times. If you really loved her, wouldn't you want her to go with a quick painless death?" What was coming out of my mouth didn't feel right. And I guess I could understand where this guy was coming from, but that doesn't justify murder.

"I didn't want her to go like that-" tears started streaming down his face "-I wanted to stab her in the heart and make it quick, so she didn't have to suffer. But, the anger I felt for the people that killed my sister and my mom just came out. It came out while I was stabbing her. Oh God, what have I done?"

I think this guy has a mental problem. Who wouldn't after finding out their family members have been murdered. I wonder how my family reacted to my death. If I'm even dead. I hope they're alright and that they didn't end up like this guy.

"So I decided to end my own life. So I can be with them and ask Lisa for forgiveness."

He was still crying.

"No! You don't have to do that!"

"Why not?" It was my turn to look confused as I looked at Damian after what he just said. I mean, I know he's the one who believes in killing bad people, but, I didn't know he thought that at this age.

"Why not let him kill himself? It'll only be speeding up the process."

"Yeah but, he regrets it and he probably has a mental problem."

"He's still going to be tried for murder and be sentenced for life."

"But at least then he can reflect on his actions and be a better person!" At this point I was yelling and I could tell that Damian was mad with me. Then Neil spoke up.

"The kid's right. I'd rather die than live with regrets."

"But if you die right now, you're only throwing those regrets and then some on the people who's lives are going to be ruined knowing that their friend is dead!" With that, both Neil and Damian stared at me with surprised expressions plastered on their faces.

"What did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't and it's Lucelle."

"Ah, the kid that Lisa took in. She talked about you to me over the phone. She said you saved her life."

"Well technically Robin saved her life I only got in the way."

"That's not how she put it, she said you were a very kind person. She said she hadn't met someone like you in this city in a long time. I'm glad she was able to make a good friend like you before she left this world." He inched closer to the edge.

"Hey what are you doing? Get away from there you'll fall!"

"Can you do me a favor?"

"No! Whatever it is you'll have to do it on your own! I'm not good at accepting responsibilities or keeping them."

"Remember me." That was the last thing he said to me as he smiled with tears streaming down his face. He fell and I tried to reach him but I was too far away. I heard his body hit the ground and I raced over to the edge and I saw his head splattered all over the pavement. I heard Damian's footsteps walk up to me from behind.

"Why didn't you stop him?" I asked but he didn't answer.

"Why didn't you stop him?" This time I yelled and turned around to look at him. All he said was, "C'mon, we were supposed to meet my father an hour ago."

"No, I'm not going anywhere with you until you answer my question!" I was being stubborn, but I didn't care. I was in no mood to meet his dad right now.

"I guess we're doing this the hard way." He came up to me and threw me over his shoulder. Then he swung away with his grappling hook.

"Hey! Put me down right now!"

"Sure. If you want to fall towards your death like that other man."

What he said made me stop squirming. But now, all I could think about was that guy's sad smile, right before he fell to his demise.