Dropping Like Flies

Finnick knew how I felt about Peeta's treatment. He also knew he could do nothing about it. So soon enough when the break of day came we began to trek over the harsh rubble once again. I travelled by Johanna's side most of the time, occasionally listening to Finnick as he taught Peeta his lines for the propo. I couldn't help but fall in love with Finnick even more with his kind nature. Jackson soon found 'a good spot' to film the propo but the holo beeped as we approached.

"Split and take cover," Boggs instructed, "stay back."

He carefully threw something in between the two walls and guns began throwing bullets ever which way, making a horrible noise, ricochetting off of them. I could only image what could've been of us if we'd walked into that. By the time it was done my ears were bleeding, not too much luckily.

"You okay love?" Finnick asked, dabbing the red liquid away.

"I'll be fine," I said, "it's Peeta we should worry about."

The poor boy was in a horrible state. His eyes were squinting shut and he was murmuring the same phrase over and over as he whacked his head against his gun. I slowly knelt down beside him and took his head into my arms, whispering sweet nothings into his ear. His breathing rate soon went back to normal but that was the exact moment a bomb went off. I looked up to people shouting and running every which way. It was in that moment I realised that Boggs was dead. I stupidly let go of Peeta to go towards the scene. But Finnick and Johanna held me back.

"Don't," she murmured.

One of the Leeg sisters who'd also been hit was holding her damaged limb, screaming. Her sister, instinctively ran over to help but stepped a stone, that strangely sunk into the floor. The gap between the structures left slowly started to close. Oh shit.  Suddenly black liquid came oozing through. Doubly shit. It was oil. Triply shit. None of us would be able to swim in that stuff no matter what. Not even Finn. Suddenly I felt myself look at Finnick and he immediately pressed his lips on mine. He was thinking what I was. That may have been our last kiss...

***
Our immediate instinct was to run. Everyone's was. All of us sprinted from our lives. But suddenly Peeta went rogue. He grabbed Katniss and yanked her down. She landed flat on the ground. That was when he began attempting to kill her by hitting her with his unloaded gun.

"I've got it!" Johanna yelled, "keep going!"

"No!" I shouted back, "I'm not leaving you!"

"You have no choice," she replied sadly, pushing me away, as the oil cut off our pathway to one another.

I watched as Mitchell got hold of Peeta and Johanna helped Katniss to her feet once again. But in a split second Mitchell had been thrown into the oil by Peeta and murdered. Finnick suddenly came in and grabbed Peeta by the neck, not so tight as to strangle him, but tight enough to keep a firm grasp. I was fearing Finnick's life more than anything. He was most likely to die. Hijacked Peeta was so unpredictable. The oil was now flooding at a faster rate and through many shouts and demands we all clambered into a building on higher ground for safety. We were told to just keep moving to the top.

Don't look down. Don't look down. Don't look down.

I looked down. That was when it all went pear shaped as anxiety built up inside of me. I had to squeeze my eyes shut. I was up so high now and Finnick was helping Peeta. There was barely a banister to hold onto for support. Suddenly I felt an arm around my waist.

"You can do it," a soft voice said, "you are okay."

I opened my eyes surprised to see Johanna. She slowly helped me manage the rest of the stairs and I felt a lot better as I slumped down onto the stone at the top. Finnick was desperately trying to help Peeta as the test of us watched the oil slowly seep towards us and then back down again.

"The game makers are still putting on quite the show," Cressida murmured.

No one replied directly to her and instead had there own conversations. Jackson was trying to make a connection with our base but was failing. Others were saying we had to get out of here. I stayed quiet watching Finnick as he tried to get Peeta back. The real Peeta I mean.

"I can't get signal but I can get us back to base. Everdeen give me the Holo," Jackson demanded.

Katniss remained still and silent.

"Everdeen. What did I just say? The holo, come on, let's go!" She snapped.

"Boggs gave it to me," Katniss said.

"What are you talking about?" Jackson asked.

"She's saying she's in control now," Johanna smiled.

"No, I am," she huffed in reply.

"I'll think you'll find it's Everdeen over here that has the power," I smirked.

"Boggs did. I watched him. He transferred security clearance to her," one member said.

"And why would he do that?" Jackson asked, sharply.

"Do you know why we're here right now?" I said, "why any of this is happening? This whole rebellion is because of her. The mockingjay. So in answer to your question, he gave it to her because she is the mockingjay. You are nothing."

"Don't speak to me like that!" She yelled.

"Woah there!" Finnick said, "don't start a fight with her or you have me to deal with and believe me I could take you out in seconds. I didn't win the hunger games at fourteen for no reason."

"I'm on special orders from Coin," Katniss said suddenly, interrupting us all.

"To do what?" Jackson questioned, her tone still remaining bitter.

"To assassinate President Snow," Katniss replied.

"I don't believe that for one second," she snapped back, "and as your new unit commander I order you to transfer security clearance to me now."

"I can't do that," Katniss murmured.

Suddenly Jackson drew her gun and pointed it at Katniss, who didn't even batt an eyelid. Gale immediately rushed forwards gun pointed at Jackson.

"Let's not lose our heads here," He said firmly.

I laughed, clapping my hands together, "you know it's funny. She doesn't get that if she kills Katniss she won't only kill the face of this rebellion, but she'll also never get her hand of the security shit she wants."

"I'm not asking again Everdeen, give me that holo," Jackson said.

"She's telling the truth," Cressida replied, stepping between the gun and Katniss, "Plutarch wants it televised. He thinks if we can film the mockingjay assassinating Snow, it'll make the Capitol surrender before the casualties get too high."

"It's true, we were in the meeting where it was said," Johanna smirked.

Jackson still didn't lower her weapon at this.

"While we're here arguing there's 100 peacekeepers on their way," Gale said, "we need to move."

"Boggs promised me that when the time would come you would help me," Katniss said, stepping to Jackson.

She lowered her weapon and looked down. She was giving up,

"Alright soldier, the holo's yours," she said.

***
Hello everybody
Hope you enjoyed 💗💗💗