Moving And Micromanaging

MAYA POV

It's been another 3 months; time is flying by too quickly. Today Alex is moving into her dorm and it feels like the world is ending. I know that's an exaggeration but it'll be a big change again and it means that the small 15-year-old we first met, is now an independent adult. Okay, not fully independent, I've already done safety checks on her building and Carina has planned to drop off meals weekly to the dorm. Our living room has been taken over by boxes and the thought of moving everything tires me out. Sure, it'll be a great workout and I think Carina would be thankful.

"Okay, so have you labelled every box? I know drop off time is around 11am but I'm thinking of getting there at least half an hour early so we can get the help we need and I can talk to the building manager about general safety. Oh, and I thought that maybe I could get a copy of the policies and procedures for different situations in case. I've already been on call with 19 to see if they can do a proper run down of the buildings. And we need to do a run through on what to do in case of a fire. Which reminds me, do you know if they will be going through fire protocols with everyone?" I start to plan the day; I know I will be micromanaging the whole day.

"Bella, I need you to breathe. This will be an emotional day, and I know the clipboard is out so you can be distracted. Everything is planned out; we can complete everything on your list as long as you pay attention to what Alex needs. Is that okay?" Carina asks as she wraps her arms around my neck.

"I suppose I can" I say while looking down. I just want everything to be perfect.

-

Finding Alex' room was pretty easy. She's on the bottom floor which I love, safety-wise at least. The room is sort of big and private, so she isn't sharing with anyone. She has a big window looking over a lake and with a view of the stadium as well. It seems perfect.

ALEX POV

"Mom I've already told you; I'm not going to burn down the room with a lighter that I don't have. I know safety rules. Can you help me unpack this box please?" I beg mom, I know it's just her being anxious, but the questions have been nonstop. It's driving me crazy at this point, I can see mama roll her eyes at every question. I don't really need help with anything, so I'm asking mom to do everything in hopes it's enough of a distraction to give me 5 minutes without a question.

"You know your mom is just panicky right? She'll be fine once we leave" mama tells me as we watch mom unpack everything in a methodical way.

"Yeah I know, it's just driving me a bit crazy." I reply.

"Right, so where are we putting these things. Do you have enough room over there?" Mom asks as she starts forming a plan in her head.

-

Unpacking didn't take long. The room looked amazing and homely, with only electric candles since mom wouldn't let me have normal ones. I wasn't moving in right this second though. We have mom and mama's party to attend.

They're having a retirement party with all their friends and family. I feel like I haven't seen anyone in ages.