Home Time

CARINA POV

Today is the day, both Eve and I can leave the hospital. I was surprised that no colleagues visited us but in a way I'm happy we weren't flooded with people. Last night as I was dozing off I heard Maya talk to Eve about our first date. I couldn't help but fall asleep with a grin, while hearing her reminisce.

Maya and I agreed that my parents would stay for the first three days after Eve was here. So, they are currently waiting for us at home. I think we'd manage without them but that's obviously not the only reason I want them there.

-

Getting through the front door of our house was quite the struggle. Well, no, the drive here was hell. I think we need to work on Eve and cars at some point since she wouldn't stop crying! We were met with my mama running towards us and taking Eve in her arms. Maya ran upstairs and put away everything we had brought to the hospital and put clothes in the wash. I hugged my dad.

"Look at her, bella. Mozzafiato." My mama says while looking down at our beautiful girl. Eve started to squirm, instantly Maya took her and calmed her down. God, Maya left the room and my dad followed.

MAYA POV

"You know you are a natural" Vince says to me, as we start to walk around the house. I look down smiling at the new love of my life and rock her slightly as she settles.

"I always thought that this would be really hard for me, that I wouldn't be cut out for it. But God, I really think I can be a good mom, Carina already is a good Mama" I reply while sharing a smile with him.

"You know, when we first met I was really unsure about you for a number of things. You weren't the first person that my daughter told me about but you were the first one to show her the love she needs. As a child, Carina was given a children's book which her mama owned when she was a child. Carina always said she'd want to read it to her family; I know that she started to give up on love and the chance of a family and had almost completely written it off when she moved here. She left it in Italy but we've brought it back and I thought maybe you could give it to her now?" Vince says.

"I'd love it, where is it?" I ask. I love hearing stories about Carina that I wouldn't normally hear. Vince pulled out the book from behind his back like a magic trick. "Come one, give me Eve. I want some time with her" Vince said as we exchanged what we were holding.

-

"So, babe, as I went for a walk with Eve and your dad he told me about something important to you that you've never shared. Luckily, he gifted it to me so I could give it to you" I say as I hand it to her.

Tears started to flow; she could no longer speak. Her dad walks back in the room with tears in his eyes, I get given Eve as Carina and her parents share a moment. I left them alone and put Eve down for a nap, she was fully passed out.

-

Walking back down the stairs, I met a very panicked Carina.

"Where is Eve? Why aren't you holding her? You had one job Maya?" Carina rattles off. I grab her arms and hold her still so we can make eye contact. "Babe, she is safe. I put her in her crib so that she could sleep. I've got the baby monitor here with the camera. Look, she is all swaddled and asleep. She is okay" I say in a calm manner, she slowly nods and snatches the baby monitor from my hands so that she could see for herself properly.

So maybe that wasn't a good idea.