Tension And Release

MAYA POV

I broke out of my trance as I fell down on the treadmill. My legs were tingly and I couldn't move them. Looking at the time, I have just ran for about 8 hours straight... fuck, well that's a new record. I must have really upset Carina. It's just gone midnight and I know everyone is asleep so I wait for my legs to work again before quietly making it to our bedroom. On the way, I peek into Alex' and Eve's bedrooms to see if they're awake. Luckily both are knocked out.

I open the bedroom door and see Carina with a medical book open on our duvet, and a notebook in hand. She looks up and starts to move out of bed towards me. She wraps her arms around my shoulders pulling me towards her neck, I slot my head there and I finally break down into tears. My legs start to buckle from well... who sprints for hours at a time. She notices and slowly moves us until I'm laying on top of her with my head back close to her neck.

"Bella, you're okay... you're okay. We're all okay, I know you checked on Eve and Alex. Alex and I watched a movie that you might like. You're okay. Shall we try and sleep?" she speaks quietly, I nod in her neck and don't move. "Maya are you going to sleep in those clothes" She questions and I nod with a smile, I know she can feel my smile on her neck. I don't remember anything after that moment.

-

It's a few days after and I know that Carina has talked to Alex about it all, since she's now avoiding me completely. We haven't gone for a walk since which makes sense, I've not been motivated and I think Alex could be afraid that I'd see my dad and freak out again. So, I decided that I should have a sit-down conversation with Alex and do something she'd enjoy after. I called her out of her room to meet me in the living room so we could sort things out. I heard footsteps so I sat down and waited a few seconds before she came in.

"Hi Alex, I wanted to talk to you about everything and why I have been this way for the last few days. Carina has talked to you a bit, hasn't she?" I ask her. She nods, well that answers that question.

"So, as a kid I loved to run. Absolutely loved it so I wanted to go competitive and started winning medal after medal and the same went for trophies. My dad got this buzz from my wins and he wanted me to train with him, it started as a bonding thing but quickly became toxic. I'd run every day for an hour at 4am with my dad, if I didn't get up straight away I would be punished whether that was water poured into my bed or with me in it, or no dinner. There were times where I would win a race but wouldn't beat my best time so I would be punished. I couldn't see friends outside of school or be around any media since it could influence or distract me. I ended up going to the London Olympics just over a decade ago, my dad came with me. A few days before, I badly fractured my ankle but due to my dad being there, there was no way out of running. So, I ended up winning gold after running 10,000 m, sure I'm proud of it but it wasn't healthy and it took many years for me to realise that it was my win and not my dad's. Growing up my victories and his, began to blur until there wasn't a difference." I stop and look for her to see if she's still listening. She's nodding so I carry on.

"So, for years after the Olympics I ran away from my day physically and metaphorically. I joined the Fire academy and stayed away from my hometown, I cut off the remaining friends I had and concentrated on escaping things. I had a lot of pent-up hate and tension around people, especially men who reminded me of my dad. I also had a lot of hate towards women in my job as I still viewed things as a competition. My dad had a famous saying 'eyes forward' which essentially meant that I shouldn't give a crap about anyone other than myself. A year before I met Carina, I decided to get therapy after a string of incidences. These incidences all were different but they were all triggered by something linking to my dad. With therapy, I really struggled to take my dad out of the spotlight I had him under, he was still my hero although I was becoming aware that he really shouldn't be" I say, stopping again to make sure she is still paying attention.

"When I met Carina, I was in a wheelchair with like 10% chance of ever walking again. I was probably in the darkest period of my life since leaving my dad. She helped me get through therapy and kept me company throughout my recovery. We went on dates, holidays, got married, and now we have two beautiful kids to grow old with us. When I met Carina and made this family, I promised that I will do everything to protect it. It is the thing that means the most to me and that will never change. With my dad, it is hard for me to see the family I have and the family I was a part of. He has been going to therapy, I have literally proof but it is still really hard for me to separate from who he was to who he is. Seeing him always causes me to run, I can't explain why I need to but I just do. I don't even realise I've started doing it until I end up somewhere. The last time I ran like that was when I accidently showed Carina her engagement ring before I asked her to marry me. I ran for hours, I ended up at my childhood home and collapsed just as my brother caught me... boy was Carina worried about me!" I say. "Do you have any questions? I know I just threw a lot of information your way and pretty much my whole life story... sorry about that" I say in a more jokey way in hopes it makes her feel comfortable.

"I don't really have any questions... well, what should I do when you meet your dad? Like what do you want after seeing your dad? Should I stay out of your way and avoid you at all times?" She speaks.

"I don't really know if I can answer those questions. I still see a therapist but haven't gone in a month. I think I might attend a session and I can get back to you, is that okay?" I ask her. She nods quickly.

"Enough of the emotional crap, I heard that you watched Deadpool with Carina. Apparently she didn't like the violence or humour. I'm pretty sure, she doesn't like it because I said I'd sleep with Ryan Reynolds and his wife! Anyway, I've seen that one and there's a second one if you want to watch it now?" I ask while laughing, she's laughing too!

"Hell fucking yeah! Let's do it! Shall I get candy and drinks?" She says excitedly.

"Language" I say sternly

"I know Maya, I can swear around you but no one else. I remember" She says while hugging me before leaving for candy. While she's gone, Carina walks in with Eve and places her on the floor where there are some toys for her to play with. Carina sits on my lap and cuddles into me, I snake my hands around her waist before kissing her forehead. Alex walks back in with everything and sits on the sofa next to us with a big smile on her face. This is my family; she is a part of this family.