The Street

MAYA POV

After a short 15-minute drive we arrived at a small car park. Throughout the drive I could see Carina stealing looks at her phone trying to figure out where we were going, this didn't stop until I almost passively aggressively swatted the phone away. I don't want her ruining this. Over the last few weeks, I've been keeping a small list of things she likes.. you know just in case this ever went somewhere I'd have an arsenal of information.

"We're here, you can now have your phone back. But no going on maps, I don't want this to be ruined! " Carina gave a look that I couldn't quite understand. There was some anger, confusion and I think happiness.. I don't know. We walked through a lit gate feeling the cobblestone below us, taking in the atmosphere of old shops, the aroma of different cuisines, and the bright hanging lights.. the closest thing to a Christmas market out of season. Still holding Carina's hand, I realised that I was almost dragging dead weight, so I turned to see Carina's mouth slightly agape as she took in the environment. This was exactly the affect I hoped for!

"Maya, how did you find this place? I thought Seattle was only filled with emotionless concrete tower mazes. How have I never found this? " she exclaimed, as she started to walk alongside with me.

CARINA POV

This street was unlike anything I'd seen in America. Sure, an old street filled with age-appropriate shops were fairly European especially with the cobblestone street. It almost didn't make sense how this street was here in Seattle, completely hidden and somehow not ruined by the classic Americanisms of bigger is better or rather trying to recreate something which isn't theirs and ruining it.

As we walked further down the street, being led by Maya. We suddenly came to an abrupt stop outside a tiny shop called "Merce di Nostalgia" (Homesick Goods - This is google translate, don't come for me). Just the mere fact that the shop title was Italian filled me with hope that maybe I was closer to something that represents my country than I thought. "Shall we enter? " I think me pulling Maya in with me gave her the answer to that question.

"Hi Maya, We were wondering when you'd visit again. God, we haven't seen you since you won that medal, what was that? Six years ago.. God! You look so grown up, look at you! Who's this? " the person I'm guessing the owner said towards Maya. Does she know everyone?

"Oh Jeez, Hi Antonia! It's been that long? I think I've grown up since there. I've separated myself from my dad so I guess you could say I'm happier for the most part! This is Carina, it's kind of our first date. She's Italian so I thought that this place could be the perfect place for her! " Maya answered.

"Hi Carina, it's lovely to meet you. I hope our food is as good as you remember your home food is. Also, if you ever need a fellow Italian to talk to about anything, I'll give you my number and this shop is always open." Antonia spoke towards me. I nodded and simply moved to walk around this shop. The further we walked into this shop, the more my nose were attacked by nostalgic smells of my childhood. Shelves and shelves of goods that I didn't think I'd see ever again.. okay maybe that's an exaggeration, but when I moved here I never knew how long I'd be staying for. "It looks like you want to buy out the shop. I'm paying so if you do, just let me prepare and call some people! " Maya joked as I took in everything I could see. "Thank you, Maya for taking me home. I need to take Andrea here, he'll love it." I replied.

After explaining what each thing was that I focused on, I noticed that Maya was doing something on her phone. Every time I'd look up she'd stop and I'd hear an alarm on the other side of this tiny shop, God knows what she's doing, I was so wrapped up in my own world I didn't put much thought into it. "Come on, I promise we will come back but I first want to make one more stop." Maya spoke after some moments of silence between us.

MAYA POV

One thing on my list for Carina is that she has a special spot for Mexican food. Apparently when she first moved to this country she lived off of Mexican takeaways and was obsessed with a food van which parked near the hospital but apparently it moved after a month of Carina finding it. The good place about this street is that once a week they choose a country and invite food vans to provide food connecting to that country. Guess what this week is!

"So, you mentioned a few weeks ago that that van you really liked was called Guac-o-Dile. It turns out that it sometimes appears here and it looks like tonight it's here. Let's go! " I said as casually as possible, I was honestly so proud that I was able to find it and tie it into my plans. I could see Carina yet again look quite shocked; I hope I got the right one.. not that there's many with that name-. My thoughts were cut off by soft lips and arms embracing me, I could definitely get used to this.

"Dio Mio, when did I say that? How did you remember that? Wait no don't answer! I've been craving food from here for so long I think I might just die if I wait any longer" she exclaims while dramatically clutching her heart which causes me to grin. This time, I didn't need to lead her to our destination, it was more the opposite. Except the gentle walk I'd chosen throughout tonight was replaced by what I can only describe as cat being dragged by a dog across the floor.. okay maybe slightly gentler but this woman definitely has a death grip when she's determined, not that there's anything wrong with that...

After a few minutes and a conversation led by Carina and the only participant being Carina while I stood silently just watching her in awe, she finally decided to order. When she first mentioned this joint, I wasn't quite expecting this level of love for it, I guess it was worth the find. As much as I made it clear that I am buying tonight, I wasn't expecting Carina asking me if she could try everything on the menu. Of course, the mere idea of this caused me to laugh hard, which soon died when I realised that Carina was very much being serious. After some bargaining and a promise to come back here at least one a month, she decided on only getting 3 things which was slightly more within my budget.

I've never seen someone so beautiful look somehow just as beautiful while trying to lick off some sauce escaping her enchiladas and running down close to her elbow. Doing all of this while having a mouthful of what I can only describe as a landfill of flavours. Within 15 minutes Carina had finished her food, and I picked at the food she left. I wasn't really hungry so eating her leftovers was perfect to me.

On the way back we walked back to the Italian shop. Walking in to be handed with a massive basket of everything Carina had mentioned earlier with a written note "L'amore non arriva tutti i giorni, quindi usa tutti i giorni come scusa per amare più forte e più puro" (Love doesn't come every day, so use every day as an excuse to love harder and purer). I could really get used to the look of amazement that Carina has given multiple times tonight. I think I've accomplished all I wanted and I didn't even need to wait to kiss her.

As we walked back to the car, I really started to feel tired, my legs felt like jelly but somehow painful jelly if that makes any sense. I tried to hide it but I guess I don't have a good poker face. "Maya are you okay? Do your legs hurt? Why didn't you tell me your legs were bothering you? We could have just watched a movie and I could have cooked for you. Do you need me to drive? " Carina suddenly threw questions my way.

"I promise I'm okay. We're going back to mine.. hopefully... if you want to? So, I can rest there. Let's go back to the car" I questioned, which yet again Carina nodded. I've realised that different nods have slightly different meanings.. at least I think so!