Chapter 14

"I still can't believe you went to the morgue without me." You look at Wednesday as you talk but when you're finished you begin to analyze the picture in front of you while eating a hot pocket. You grab a picture from the board. "This is something I needed to do alone without any distraction." You swallow the last of your hot pocket, putting the trash in your pocket. "I'm not a distraction." Enid gets up from her bed, making her way towards y'all. "Good morning, sweetheart. How you doin'?" She gives you a big smile. "Good morning, Lexa. I'm doing better than yesterday. Thank you for taking care of me last night." You give her a little wink, earning a blush from her. "It was no problem." You guess you were right. All she needed was a good night's rest to shake off the whole Ajax situation even though she still seems somewhat upset. "When I suggested giving your side of the room a makeover, I did not have Ted Buddy's Pinterest in mind." You and Wednesday, look at Enid as y'all hold pictures of body parts.

"Still not as creepy as your stuffed unicorn collection." You look over to Enid's unicorn collection to see them already looking at you; it sends a chill down your spine. "Is this why you snuck out last night?" So she heard Wednesday sneak out, then she's usually really quiet, or was she already awake because of what happened? "Thing and l made an unsanctioned trip to the morgue to copy the files of the monster victims." You look at a picture in your hand of a foot with missing toes. You bring it closer to your face, and it looks like it was cut off by a professional. "Okay, there are so many levels of ew in that statement that I don't know where to begin. And why wasn't Lexa with you? Aren't y'all like crime-solving buddies?" You look over to Wednesday with a smirk on your face. Wednesday merely glares at you with an unimpressed face.

"I need to get inside its head. Discover any patterns or anomalies. I've already made a big discovery, and no Lexa and I aren't crime-solving buddies." You start to pout. "You wound me right here." You pat your hand over your heart a couple of times. "Why must you wound me?" You are rewarded with a smile and giggle from Enid and a nasty glare from Wednesday, but Wednesday decided to ignore you instead of responding to you. "Turns out all of the monster's victims have had body parts surgically removed." Wednesday walks to Enid and hands her a picture. "The first one is a kidney, the second a finger." You hand Enid the picture you were holding. "Missing toes." Enid starts shaking her head with this look of terror. "Guys, I don't feel –" Enid gets paler with every picture we give her. "–third a gallbladder."

"And that bearded man from the meeting house, two toes– I already showed her that one." Wednesday turns back around and walks to where you and Enid are. "Do you understand what this means? These murders aren't mindless." Wednesday turns back around to the poster board, looking at the articles. "He's collecting trophies like a seasoned-" Enid faints, but you catch her before she can fall. "-serial killers. It's impressive, actually." You and Wednesday make eye contact. You let out a sigh. "Fetch the smelling salts... Again." You pick Enid up bridal style and put her on her bed.

                          ●●●●●●●●

You were sitting behind Wednesday with Enid beside you in your carnivorous plants class. "While most plants reward their pollination with sweet nectar, many carnivorous varieties turn to sexual trickery or deception." You begin doodling in your notebook drawing whatever comes to mind. You started and didn't realize you were drawing the blue-eyed beauty with the name of Katerina. You didn't realize Enid was watching you draw. "Who's that? She's beautiful." You look at your drawing, putting on some finishing touches. "That's Katerina Galpin. I met her a couple of days ago. I even got Wednesday to hang out with her. Surprisingly, they got along. She's a lot like you, kind and warm, but she's more of an introvert around people she doesn't know while you m'lady are a extrovert." You look at your notebook with an adoring smile. You look up back at Enid to see her already smiling at you.