CT: Chapter 9 "What's Up Danger"

We open to the bright blue sky with the sound of clanging metal on metal. "Again! You're too slow! You're hesitating!" We pan down to see C, with arm guards on, blocking Ryuko's Scissor Blade.

"I am not!" She swipes to the right again only to hit his arm again. He gives her a small smile and grips the blade with a hand.

"Yes, you are. I don't know if you're scared of hurting me or think that just because I'm not in a uniform I can't take it, but regardless you need to attack me like you would an opponent. I'm literally the best possible training dummy. I heal everything, so loosen up and stop hesitating." He pulls his hand across the sharp blade making blood leak to the floor from a deep gash across his palm. He holds up his hand and the wound closes quickly. He smirks and then gestures for Ryuko to attack. She lets out a deep breath and swings left much faster than before. "Better!" He blocks it and she turns and swings down. He blocks that one too. She swings to the left making him turn and block it. She goes for another downward slash, but he steps in closer throwing her off as he grabs her wrists while they're above her head. "Number one, you lifted your arms too high. You gave me plenty of time to come in and do this, but I'll admit you can swing, so let's work on your mind. In this situation what do you do?"

"I make distance."

"Yes, but first you need to get me off of you. You just committed a lot to your swing and it went nowhere, so how are you going to turn that around."

"I'll knee you or kick you."

"You just threw a lot of momentum upwards and now you want to suddenly push against your momentum to do a kick? Want my advice, commit. I rushed in while you were preparing your swing, so keep the swing momentum and backflip with it. Either I let go, or you drag me to the floor. Let's try." He lets go and Ryuko holds her blade in front of her before lifting it up quickly. He grabs her wrists and she jumps up while bending back making him let go as she gains distance away. "See? Some opponents who are stronger than you will try and keep you down, you'll need to identify quickly if that's what someone will do. If they're committed to keeping you locked down then as you jump up instead of flipping have them keep you up and kick them in their unprotected face. If they can't support your sudden change in weight roll back with your feet to their gut and throw them behind you. It is more disorienting than anything, but it will make distance."

"Got it." She looks at him while resting against her blade.

"Okay, so something Sanageyama said has been bothering me. He said without your blade you're a sitting duck, so let's do some hand to hand. I know you want to learn the blade, but if you can't defend yourself without it, then you're giving yourself a weakness."

"Fair enough." She stabs the blade a little further into the ground.

"Ryuko, that's someone's ceiling."

"You can just fix it."

"Yes but now they have four inches of sword through their roof."

"Let's hope they aren't tall. C'mon quit complaining and train me." C rolled his eyes and removed the arm guards. He tosses them aside and looks back to Ryuko with his hands up.

"Show me your stance." She gets in her stance and C immediately puts his hands down before doing a full three sixty. He walks forward and shakes his head.

"What?!"

"Your stance is utter garbage that's what."

"Hey I led a gang in middle school, I know how to fight."

"You led a gang of morons who relied on their numbers didn't you?" Ryuko has to think about that for a moment until C smacks her elbow bringing her back. "Your hands are too low, how are you supposed to block anything if you can't get to your head in time?" He kicks one of her feet in closer "Your center of balance is all off. One sweep and you're hitting the ground." He grabs her hips and squares them up. "Stop leaning so far back. You need your hips somewhat square to be able to throw an effective punch. People always think arm strength is where a punch comes from, but that's completely wrong. It's legs." C pushes Ryuko's left leg forward slightly and then steps in front of her. "When you throw a strong blow, put everything you've got into it. Keep your feet planted and twist your hips with it. Then if you need your next attack throw your other hand while twisting your hips the other way. Every punch you throw should smoothly set up your next attack. This is boxing."