SP: Chapter 5 "Bleeding Out"

C checks the clock and sees it's finally past midnight. He gets off the couch and starts heading to the door when a voice stops him. "C?" He sighs and turns around to see Ruby waking up from her spot on the recliner. She refused to leave his side after he came back inside after the Grimm attack.

"Hey. Go back to sleep, everything is fine."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to go find my friend I told you about."

"But it's dark."

"I know. Go back to bed."

"No. What if the Grimm gets you?!"

"Nothing can get me, Ruby. After all, if something happens to me, you'll be sad, so I can't ever die because I'll never make you sad if I can help it."

"Then don't go! If you go I'll be sad, so why are you leaving?!"

"Because I made a promise to someone else, and I keep my promises no matter what. I'll be back before you can miss me." Ruby tries to get up and run to him, but he leaves the house and holds the door closed. He sighs as he places the rocking chair under the doorknob and starts walking away. He makes it two steps off the porch when a burst of white rose petals makes him stop. Summer stands there in her pajamas.

"Where are you going?"

"Summer as long as I'm here, the Grimm won't stop coming. Every week another pack comes. I can't stay here knowing I'm putting everyone in danger. Besides, I've got a friend to find." He tries to walk past Summer, but she grabs his arm.

"Then at least wait for tomorrow. You can't after Ruby saw you. She's already crying in my room. Please just wait until tomorrow night." C sighs.

"Fine, but tomorrow night I'm gone." They both walk back inside and small footsteps run downstairs before a figure slams into him. He picks Ruby up and hugs her as she cries. "Enough tears, I'm not going anywhere." He walks to the couch and sits down as Ruby keeps crying. Summer pets his hair as she walks past and heads upstairs.

The next night, C stands outside with Tai and Summer. Tai hands C a bag which his puts on. "Inside is some lien, your clothes, and a scroll with our numbers."

"Thanks, I appreciate it." Summer hugs C which he reciprocates with a shocked face.

"You better call once a week and visit! Yang's birthday is in four weeks, and I don't want to hear any excuses. You can teleport." C nods as they break the hug.

"Yes ma'am. I promise. With any luck, my search will be over before then." He steps off the porch and looks over his shoulder. "I'll see you guys in four weeks!" He takes off in a full sprint into the woods making leaves fly from the wind. Summer stands on the porch with a hand to her chest.

"He'll be fine, Summer. He's got a good head on his shoulders and a good heart."

"I hope you're right."

C dodges and weaves through the trees before blinking and appearing in the port town he and Summer visited a couple weeks ago. He keeps running with the wind whipping his hair behind him. He smiles wide as he picks up speed and creates a sonic boom.

***

Ryuko slices at a beowolf with her summoned blade, killing it. She wipes the sweat off her brow as the guardsman do the same. "Thanks for the help, Kid. You helped out a lot. Anyway we can repay you?"

"No problem. But if you're offering, I wouldn't say no to a meal and a place to sleep." The guardsman nods.

"Easy. The inn will give you a room and a meal. I think Madame Aqua made dumplings." He leads the way to the inn where Ryuko meets an older woman with lavender hair. "Madame Aqua, this young lady needs a room and a meal. She helped fend of the Grimm attack."