SP: Chapter 14 "Across the Line"

The first years of Beacon watch as Cardin Winchester, leader of team CRDL, knocks Jaune back with a swing of his mace. Jaune, now shieldless, breathes heavily while getting to his feet as Cardin slowly walks up to him. Jaune charges forward with a downward slice that Cardin blocks. They stand there in a weapon lock with Cardin not showing any signs of trying. "This is the part where you lose."

"Over my dead-!" He's cut off by a kick to the gut that makes him double over before falling to the ground. Cardin readies another attack, but a buzzer goes off and Professor Goodwitch stops the fight.

"Cardin, that's enough. Students, as you can see Mister Arc's aura has dropped into the red. In a tournament style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match. Mister Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your scroll during combat. Gauging your aura will help you to decide when it's an appropriate time to attack, or when it's better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a beowolf, now would we?" Cardin scoffs.

"Speak for yourself." He walks off the arena after that line while Summer furrows her eyebrows at his words until Goodwitch addresses the class again.

"Remember everyone! The Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing!" All of the students look excited at hearing those words. "Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will represent all of Vale." The bell rings, so all the students start filing out with most talking. C keeps his hands in his pockets until Ruby jumps onto his back in excitement. He looks over his shoulder at her with a smile.

"What's up, Rosebud?"

"YoumadeacopyofWeiss'sweapon! How'dyoudoit? CanyoucopyCrescentRose? Tellmetellmetellme-! AHH!" He cuts her off by leaning backwards and nearly making her fall off his back. He chuckles while pulling himself up straight.

"One, yes I did. Two, it's just a slight thing I've been working on. Three, I would have to pull Crescent Rose apart to see all of its pieces in order to copy it. Other than that limitation, yes I could copy Crescent Rose."

"Oooo! You should totally do it! Then we could be scythe siblings!" C smiles at her.

"Well, if you're okay with me taking it apart then sure."

"You'll put her back together, right?"

"Of course."

"Then I'm absolutely okay with it!"

"Alrighty then I'll take a look at it after classes." Ruby fist bumbs into the air with a big smile on her face.

Once lunch rolls around, teams COLR, RWBY, and JNPR all sit at the same table when Nora breaks out into a story that only a few people are actually listening to. Said people are C, Arsenic, Ryuko, Ruby, Pyrrha, and Yang. Blake is reading a book, Weiss is filing her nails, Olive is playing on her scroll, Levi hasn't sit down yet because he was late, and Jaune is picking at his food. "So... there we were... in the middle of the night..." Ren interrupts her story.

"It was day..."

"Surrounded by Ursai..."

"They were beowolves..."

"DOZENS OF THEM!"

"Two of 'em."

"But they were no match, and in the end, Ren and I took them down and made a butt load of lien selling Ursa skin rugs!" Levi sits down next to Ren.

"What'd I miss?" Ren just shakes his head.

"Not much." Pyrrha looks over at Jaune.

"Jaune, are you okay?" He looks over at her while putting his fork down.