Chapter 25

Lily's POV

 "Have you ever tried to contact your dad?" Ashton's words played on repeat in my head. For all I know he has tried to contact me with more than two cards a year. I know mom changed our phone number a year or so after dad left and before that she told me never to answer the phone. Maybe dad has tried to call me but she made it so he couldn't. I was trying to catch up after missing school yesterday, but couldn't focus on anything other than my Ashton's words about my dad. It was only like 5pm so my mom wouldn't be home for a like five hours. Though I don't see what that matters it's not like I can even ask her. I could look around maybe he's sent me stuff and she's hid it or she has his number/ address some where. I got up quickly checking that my mom isn't here even though she is never home this early. When I was satisfied that I was alone I went into my moms room and straight to her closet. Shit she has a lot of cloth. I rummaged through her closet not finding anything but shoes at the bottom and moved to the top. The top was easier to look through there was a basket of scarves and a shoe box. I pulled the shoe box down. The first thing I saw when I opened the show box was a envelope with my name. With a quick scan I could tell there was a lot of them. I quickly grabbed everything from the box and put it back on the shelf. I could tell from the dust on the box that she never opened it so she wouldn't notice its empty as long as it's in the same spot. I went back to my room and just stared at the pile of papers. I feel like I can't move. All this time I thought my dad was just sending me cards with a simple to Lily love dad and then what ever the card already had on it. Looking at the pile though there is most definitely more than just envelops here. I've spent over ten years of my life thinking all I was worth was a simple card and $50 to my father.Why would my mom hide this stuff from me. I thought my dad just didn't care. My mom had seen me cry myself to sleep when I was younger because I thought he didn't love me. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I haven't cried over my father in years, but today that seemed to be changing.

 Lily: Ash can you come over i need to talk?

 Ashton was the one who knew the most about my father. He's also the reason I went looking for the letters.

 Ashton<3:sure love on my way be there in ten

 Lily: just come in I'm in my room

 I waited for Ashton. While I didn't so much wait for him as continued to sit there staring at the pile of paper. I guess I've been sitting here a lot longer than I thought. I thought only moments had passed but apparently its been ten minutes. "Lil baby? you okay?" Ashton came in my room a little worried. I guess I can't blame him I did randomly text him to come over in a somewhat urgent tone. I just nodded still staring at my pile. "What are those babe?" Ash sat beside me putting an arm around my waist pulling me to him.

 "Letters," was all I got out. Ashton just sat there holding me. Okay maybe I need to tell him more than that they're letters. I mean he could probably see that much for himself. "They're from my dad I'm guessing to me, but my mom had them hidden," I could feel Ashton looking at me a little shocked.

 "Did she give them to you? Is she home?" I could feel Ashton loosen his arms at the thought that my mom might be home.

 "No she's still at work I went looking," I sat there still just looking at the pile. "I went looking because of what you said," I finally looked away from the papers and at Ashton. He looked a little surprised at me.

 "Have you read any of them," I shook my head. I turned fully away from the pile and curled into Ashton. He held me to him. "Do you want to read them?" I nodded.

 "But I can't what if they disappoint me? Or what if they don't and I figure out my mom may have ruined my childhood?" Ashton just held me tighter. "Read them to me?" I want to know what they say but I know the second I try I'll start crying.

 "Babe I don't know I feel like that's something you should do on your own," I knew he was right but I couldn't do it.

 "Please?" I needed to know what they said. I wanted to know what has been hidden from me. Was I missing anything from not getting the letters?

 "How about you start reading one and if you still want me to read it I will?" I nodded I could do that.