13

I look at their body language, her concern and him being completely accepting of it.

"Who are you?"

I couldn't help it, I had to ask. I wanted her to confirm what I already knew. All three turned to look at me.

The doctor turned back and focused on his task at hand. Diego looked slightly uncomfortable now, he was about to speak up but the woman beat him to it.

"Hey, I'm Julie. I'm Diego's fiance, we had actually planned to go for a dinner and-"

I spaced out, I chuckled and she raised an eyebrow. "Congratulations Julie and Diego, I had no idea he was engaged."

She frowns and looks at Diego and his hand. "you aren't wearing your ring"

Diego looked at her and smiled, "I didn't want to lose it so I left it in the car that I came in." I looked away at his words and catch the doctors eye who smiles at me awkwardly. He knew.

Diego winced and Julie forgot all about the ring as she focused on his injury.

I stepped back and leaned against the wall with crossed arms as I observed the two, so much for never leaving me alone. Why do I believe the words of others when I know exactly what happens next.

How did I miss the signs, he never invited me over to his place if he was being professional he shouldn't have stayed over at mine. Or held me.

"Julie"

I called out to her and she turned to me, Diego clenched his jaw and frowned at me. He winced again and Julie turned back to him. "What happened, is it hurting too much-"

"Julie don't be blinded by words"

I said and turned to walk to the kitchen. I heard her ask Diego what I meant and I heard him tell her that I meant nothing by it and that he wanted to leave.

I heard the shuffling sound, they were going to leave and somehow I was relieved. I don't want to be in a situation like this.

I heard footsteps and I tense up. "Hey" it was the doctor. I turned to face him and he gave me a sad smile, "we will take it from here, thank you" he turned to leave and I grabbed his arm.

"Make sure Diego knows that I don't want to hear from him ever again" I said to him and he nods in understanding.

"I'm sorry"

What exactly does that mean, I wanted to ask but would it make a difference? It didnt mean anything because it wasn't a mistake.

It was intentional.

All this was intentional, showing up at my place, taking care of me and crossing boundaries. I heard the main door close and the car drive off.

I slide down to the floor and hug myself as tears flow down.

What is it about me that men can never be serious, or is it just that I'm attracted to the wrong men. Would people who are interested in me ever make me a priority or would I be a showpiece that is beautiful from a distance or something that is attractive when it's unattainable.

I hear another crash from Oscars bedroom.

I get up and wipe my tears. I walk to the room and push the door open and gasp as I find Oscar sitting on the ground with his back pressed against the bed and one hand on the torso which seems to be bleeding.

"Belle"

His voice sounded so soft, barely audible. I rush to his side. "You are shot?" He tried to talk but ends up coughing. He is almost inaudible, i move my ear close to his lips to hear him.