chapter seventeen

As the morning dawned, you walked along through the bridges of your village, stringing together sharp stones for your father as a small token of appreciation, even though he may not have a specific need for them. He enjoyed receiving gifts from his daughters specifically.

You and Neteyam had returned to your village around twilight.
Because now that he shared something he found special to you, you wanted to show him the serenity of being awake when everything was in between morning and night.

You wondered if your parents had fallen asleep without being aware of your arrival. As you arrived, the two of you went from behind the village so that if someone was awake they wouldn't see you two arriving together.

When you entered, your father was awake. Your mother was in her sleeping spot, and your brother was too. The only one who wasn't in the Marui was Tsireya.

"My daughter." Your father stood from the other opening of Marui. He motioned a hand for you to come closer, which you immediately obeyed because if you were in trouble you didn't want to worsen it.

You feared his words as you got closer, but as he began to speak, you were taken aback by his words. Tonowari spoke about your training and guidance, and how you spent your time helping Kiri throughout the night. Sharing your skills and knowledge with her, teaching her the way of the sea.
How you made him proud.

Of course, you couldn't help but feel guilty, because you had not been training anyone. You snuck out and lied.

Your father went on to say that he wanted you to take a break from your duties, to rest and recharge before taking on any more responsibilities. You felt guilty for deceiving him and for accepting praise that you didn't deserve, but also relieved that you weren't in trouble.

He removed his hand from your shoulder, moving it to pat your head gently. You smiled and told him you would take a walk as you were not yet tired.

Which brings you to now, stringing those rocks together. As a gift, and so you could let out some guilt from before.

While walking and working on your gift, you heard a familiar voice calling your name. You turned around to see Tsireya approaching, a look of concern on her face.

"Y/N? Where have you been?" She stood across from you, checking your face and hands to make sure you were not injured.
Without giving you a chance to speak, she continued, "You had left all night. I was worried, and you didn't tell me anything. Where were you?"

Any guilt you had let go off before came back to you. You felt bad for not telling her where you were going, and for worrying her. You knew you should've confided in her but you didn't want to risk getting caught. You didn't want to betray Neteyam's trust but by doing so, you betrayed your sister.

"I looked for you everywhere."

You took a breath in, squeezing her hands that were still on yours. "I am sorry." You began, "I was with Neteyam. I am okay."

Tsireya tilted her head slightly, her face growing into more of a hurt expression.
"I am your sister." She firmly replied, "You tell me these things, Y/N."

You nodded your head, "I'm sorry. I didn't want to tell you because.."

She furrowed a brow, "If I had gotten caught, you would've been in trouble too." You explained, she quickly shook her head. "I don't care about that. I care about you, Y/N." She pulled you into a hug, you made sure to move the rocks to one hand so that she wouldn't hurt herself.

Immediately, you hugged back, your head resting on her shoulder.
"If there comes a next time, I will tell you."

Tsireya pulled away from the hug, you could see the relief in her eyes. "I trust you," she said, wrapping her arms around your arm, walking with you.
She looked at you with a curious expression, "What did you do with Neteyam? Where did you go?"