chapted twenty-three

The kiss broke apart, your eyes slowly opened to the little space between the two of you, blinking a few times adjusting to the light. You turned your head up to look at him, the kiss now seemed much more desperate than the first time.

This was presumably because of the near death experience the two of you had just gone through, and the relationship you were building. Losing each other now was not an option.

"Are you doing well?" You asked with a soft tone, your hand moving from his shoulder to lightly graze over the wrap that covered his wound. He looked down to your hand, watching as you made circular motions with your fingertips over it.

Neteyam placed one hand over yours, stopping your movements as he grabbed it and intertwined your fingers. "I'm really okay," he reassured you, his voice calm and steady. You could see the truth in his eyes, and you felt a sense of relief wash over you.

You held a smile, closing your eyes once again as he pressed your foreheads together. The two of you took a deep breath, and as you moved away, sitting back in your original position, the space between both of you grew again. You looked to him and broke into a small laugh. "You can sit closer." you said.

"I didn't want to hurt you."

He smiled warmly at you, shifting closer until your thighs were pressed against each other. His tail flicked around, the ends of it brushing against your leg as he leaned in closer to you. You could feel the warmth of his body, and the familiar scent of his skin filled your senses. You closed your eyes and let out a deep sigh, feeling grateful for the moment of peace and safety that you shared with him.

"Is he scared?" You asked Neteyam, turning your gaze towards him as you posed the question. Your tone was filled with concern and curiosity as you waited for his response.

Neteyam furrowed his brows in confusion, unsure of who you were referring to. "Who?"

"Spider," you clarified, your eyes never leaving his. "Is he scared?"

"No," he finally said, shaking his head. "Actually, I don't know. It's hard to say what he is feeling," his voice laced with uncertainty.
He looked to you, seeing that you were not only curious but also somewhat concerned.

He wanted to provide an answer for you, but he truly did not know himself. Barely waking up from a deep 'sleep', he had no idea what was happening with anyone.

Neteyam wanted to understand what you were thinking, what made you curious about the small creature's fear.

You shrugged, turning to look at your injured leg. "He might be hurt, my village will not warm up to him." You bluntly admitted, "At least you are Na'vi, he is from the Sky People."

Neteyam lowered his head, looking to his lap. "Will you not like him, Y/N?"

You paused for a moment.

You remembered how quick Spider was to run to your side, even though you were much larger than him. He had tried to help you, even though you were a stranger to him.

You remembered how quick Lo'ak was to save him, and how Neteyam simply couldn't refuse.
It was clear that Spider meant much to them, he was more than just a child from the Sky People.

"He is your brother," you finally said, "That means your family has accepted him as their own."
You look to Neteyam, "I understand the worries of my village but I will not refuse him."

Neteyam's expression visibly relaxed upon hearing your words, a small sigh escaped his lips as if he had been holding his breath waiting for your response. "I will make sure he doesn't cause trouble like Lo'ak did."