chapter twenty-five

You took a seat by the vast body of water, the gentle waves washing up on the shore and lapping at your toes. The cool breeze that blows by you is a welcome respite from the heat of the day, and you close your eyes, taking in a deep breath and letting the peace of the moment wash over you. Your injured leg is carefully extended in front of you, while the other is tucked close to your chest, letting the sun warm your skin.

Neteyam took steps into the water, his feet submerged and his tail flicking whenever it'd slightly touch the water. Despite the cold, he continues to walk further into the it, until the water reached his waist.

He swayed his hands on the water, almost as if he was caressing it.

The water seems to have a calming effect on him, and he continues to sway his hands, as if he's communicating with the water itself.

You watched, your eyes and expression softened at the scene.
You knew it would be a long time until you could swim again, walk or run properly.

You were especially saddened by this, being as it is your nature to live through the way of water.

"I should've told you this when I saw you, but you look..very pretty," he says, his eyes admiring your hair and your smile.
Neteyam sat by your side again, he only spent a few minutes in the water, wanting to refresh himself.

You look down at the sand, feeling a blush rise to your cheeks as you play with your fingers. Your ears fluttering like they always did when you were around him.

"Thank you. You're nice to look at too," you reply, keeping your eyes on your hands.

"I didn't do anything?" Neteyam wasn't dressed nicely for the event, at least not yet. A hint of confusion in his voice.

"I know," you reply, smiling at your lap. The two of you sit in comfortable silence, enjoying each other's company. The water and the breeze seem to have a calming effect on both of you, making you feel at peace and relaxed.

He shuffled around a bit, getting comfortable and much closer to you.

"I have a question."

You moved your head to look up at him, "Go ahead?"

"What do you see me as?"  He asked, he sat forward, his hands rested on his side.

"What do I see you..as?" You repeated, he nodded his head with a hum.

You turned your head to look at your lap again, thinking for a moment on how to perceive this question.

You saw him as someone you can rely on, a best friend that made you feel comfortable regardless of the situation.
And a lover. Which you had every right to think so, you have kissed him a few times already, it was clear that your flirtatious comments were truly meant to be seen as such too.

So how did you see Neteyam?

"I'm afraid to answer. You do it." You turned your attention back on him, he looks to you, your eyes meeting.

"Are you arranged, Y/N?"

You raised a brow, looking at the water ahead for a second and then to him again.

"What kind of question is that? If I was arranged I would never..do those things with you, Neteyam."

His eyes brightened, a sigh of relief escaping his lips quietly.

You paused for a moment. "Mm. Actually, I am
not sure what plans my parents have for me."

His ears lowered, he continued to admire you regardless, just in a much more saddened way.

"You will let them pick for you?"

"I'm not sure I have a choice, they are Tsahik and Olo'eyktan. I am their daughter, they will probably want someone worthy of my time."

Your eyes shifting to Neteyam as you finished that sentence.

With that single look, he felt that solemn emotion leave his body.
Regardless of what his parents would think of him as your mate, he would win you over— in fact, he already did.

He wanted to be accepted still, he wanted to prove himself 'worthy' to your parents. Even though he had already known that if they found out he had been kissing their daughter behind their backs, he'd immediately be scratched off the list.
And his dad, well, maybe it's best not mention it.

Neteyam has noticed stares from other boys your age in your clan, whenever the two of you would walk together (when you had been able to do properly) they'd look at you.

Some would even stop what they were doing just to greet you. Even Tsireya would sometimes experience this.

Although it was small gestures like that, Neteyam had a..feeling.

You never paid any mind to them, like mentioned before you hardly gave them any time. You were uninterested, you'd rather spend your time looking for shells in the water or with your siblings- especially Tsireya since Ao'nung almost always had Olo'eyktan duties.

"They'll love me then." Neteyam firmly spoke.

Your butterflies grew to be so intense you had to look away. Your ears were lowered and flat, your tail curling up by your side.

Neteyam felt confident in his words, without directly saying it to each other— you both knew what was to come.

Even if it was disapproved by everyone else, your own parents, no one would be able to pull you two apart. If you had been glued to each other now, you couldn't even imagine how much you'd need him when you mate.
—Same thing for him, you were a great sense of comfort, he still took on the protective-leader role with you but at least he was able to relax more and allow himself to be taken care of sometimes.

"Maybe."

You inhaled, then exhaled. Moving your focus to his hand that was on his side.
Your eyes hovering over to his face, then back to his hand.

Carefully, you reached for it and placed it on top of your thigh. Letting it rest there and also letting him grip at it lightly.
"Maybe they will learn to love you for me." You let go of his hand, relaxing back into your original position.

It had been well over an hour since you two met up unplanned.
If you weren't with Tsireya or Tuk, you were more definitely out with Neteyam. The group had already known about the strong tension between the two of you, and Tsireya knew about the kiss.
Even Tuk knew, she was most definitely observant.

Ao'nung would hate to see you so lovey dovey, he hates seeing Lo'ak and Tsireya together too. He has no trust in either of them, so you knew that if he had seen how you two were right now you'd be in so much trouble with him.

You just hoped he'd learn to love Neteyam for you too.