chapter eighteen

You were on your fifth spearhead, sharpening the edges along its shape. With Neteyam still behind you, the two of you made conversation about anything that felt interesting.

He offered to help, but you denied it. You told him to stay where he was, he smirked at this because your response was almost immediate.

"Is it because you like me here?"

"Yes." You told him bluntly. He adjusted himself closer to you, his arms that rested around your waist tightening their grip.

"Did your father teach you to be so kind?" You asked, still picketing at the edge of the spearhead.
"My parents, I learned from them." His chin was still on top of your shoulder, he'd take glances at you and then at what you were doing.

"Did they teach you to be so loving?"

Neteyam didn't answer right away. Slowly, a small smile appeared on his face, "I watched. My dad was kind to my mom."

"My dad..knew that my mom can handle herself," Neteyam squeezed your waist, taking a breath in. "He knows, but he still helps her. She helps him too."

"You learned from watching?" You moved on to the next spearhead.
"Yes. And sometimes, he'd take me with him to walk, he told me that when you are with someone," Neteyam turned his head, he pressed his lips onto your neck once again, speaking onto your skin quietly.

"You treat them as another part of you."

The familiar feeling on your neck made you lean into the kiss. While you continued working on the spearhead, you showed him you were accepting of his actions.
Still, you were intrigued by his words. "What does that mean?"

"You wouldn't hurt yourself, you wouldn't put yourself at risk." He explained, but he didn't kiss your neck, instead, he went back to resting his chin on you.

He seemed to have gotten quieter, which made you curious as to why. You weren't going to pry anymore though, so you stayed with that lingering curiosity.

Neteyam vowed to himself that he'd stand in for you before ever letting you get hurt.

If the Sky people ever found his father, his family, your clan. He'd make sure you were the last one they'd touch.

Knowing he was lost in his thoughts, you stayed quiet, you tried to move faster with your work since you had other things to do as well.

As you run the stone along the edge of the spearhead, focusing intently on creating a sharp, deadly point, you drove the stone directly into your palm. Slicing it open.

Immediately, Neteyam tends to you. Taking a look at your hand, he then stood up, pulling you with him.
"It is okay." You pulled your hand out of his, clutching it to stop the bleeding. "I will wrap it myself."

"No, it is going to get infected. I will clean it first." Neteyam shook his head, leading you to a nearby dip of fresh water, not too far off from where the weapon hung on the net.

He carefully rinsed your wound, you hissed in pain. Neteyam stopped, looking at you and using a hand to rub your arm gently. "It's okay. Trust me."

You hummed, nodding for him to continue. He gently cleaned around and between the wound, using the cool water to rinse away the blood and dirt.

Nearby took one of the newly renovated weapons. He looked around quickly and unraveled the piece of cloth that acted as extra security on the spearhead.
Using that to wrap around your hand tightly and secure it in place with a knot.

"There," he said, looking at you with a small smile. You looked down at your hand, feeling a mix of emotions.
You were grateful for his help but also frustrated that you weren't more careful. "Thank you," you said, looking up at Neteyam with a small smile of your own.

Neteyam ended up finishing the rest of the spearheads, you sat by his side as he did. You needed to return them to the net, leaving them in the basket so that the hunters would know that they were ready for use again.
Neteyam carried the basket back for you, you wanted to be stubborn and do it yourself but he insisted he would do it.

"I could've done it myself." you crossed your arms behind your back, kicking the sand lightly as you walked. He laughed seeing as you were clearly grumpy over the fact that he had done everything for you.

You nudged his arm, shoving him away. He retreated back to your side, flicking his hand at your tail. "You are sassy, you know?"

The Tulkun had come home.

"The Tulkuns have returned!" Tsireya rode her Ilu, near the village, waving her hand to her people as she announced. "Everybody, our brothers and sisters have returned!"

Neteyam and his family walked out from their Marui, Tuk running out to the sounds of the announcements.

You equipped your Ilu, swimming off with your sister who had gone for Lo'ak.
You motioned for Neteyam to join you.

He looked to his parents first, then dived into the water and onto your Ilu. You smiled at Jake and Neytiri, Tuk as well, who stood by their side. "Come, the Tulkun are here."

Neteyam held onto your waist as you swam at a fast speed towards the group of Tulkun arriving near your village. Your father guiding them.

You pointed up ahead, slightly lifting off your Ilu. "It's my spirit sister!" You called out, looking to Neteyam who moved to the side to get a better look. You sat yourself down fully, warning Neteyam, "We are going to dive."

You guided your Ilu to dive into the water, swimming directly to your Tulkun. You detached your queue from your Ilu, Neteyam following you as you swam off of it.

Neteyam was much better at holding his breath, his swimming had gotten better too.

Your spirit sister was beautiful, and it seemed that when the Tulkun returned each time, she had gotten more beautiful.

You swam to her, Neteyam behind you.

You pressed the side of your head near her eye, your arms stretched out as if you had hugged her. Her eye closed to this, accepting of your affection.

You swam back, signing to her.

'Sister, I see you.'

'I see you too.'  Your spirit sister replied.
She was curious seeing as Neteyam floated beside you, his smile big as he tried his hardest to remember his lessons in Na'vi sign language.

'Who is this, Y/N?' she asked, you moved to the side, pulling Neteyam closer.

You smiled at him, then signed to the Tulkun.
'He is my friend, he is from the forest.'

Neteyam signed to your spirit sister, 'Hello, I am Neteyam.'

'Hello, Neteyam.' She replied, a wave of happiness overcoming you. Seeing as your spirit sister and someone you cared deeply for, interacting.

Neteyam moved to the side, wanting you to have time with her.

'Is he special to you, Y/N?' She questioned you, which made your ears flutter, even under the water. You were also happy that Neteyam's knowledge of sign language wasn't that wide.

You signed back, 'Yes. He is. Why do you ask?'

'Your smile shows me a different kind of happiness.'

You closed your eyes, almost seeming as if you had been wanting to laugh. You shook your head, moving to give her that same 'hug' you did before.

You began to move back, flipping over slowly, your Tulkun copying your movements. Neteyam observed with wonder and felt a sense of warmth in his chest as he witnessed the strong bond between you and your spirit sister.

More and more, had he fallen in love with you.