chapter twenty-four

You and Ao'nung began to walk back, you felt better knowing you had finally got to see him. You understood how everyone was feeling, how scared and how upset they were.

You couldn't lie, you also felt the same fear and uncertainty, the thought of what might happen next lingered your mind.

Ao'nung kept a close eye on your steps, taking notice of the crutch that the dream walker had given you. He let out a disapproving "tch" and rolled his eyes. You kept your gaze fixed on the ground, cautious with each step you took.

"Mother wants you home Y/N. So don't stay out here with him for too long." Ao'nung rubbed your shoulder lightly, and let his hand fall to his side.

The two of you finally arrived back at Neteyam, and Ao'nung quickened his pace, moving ahead of you. He walked past Neteyam, glaring at him.

"Watch yourself, forest boy."

Neteyam's tail flicking up as he fixated his eyes directly on Ao'nung's as he walked by, his gaze was intense.

Once Ao'nung turned his back on him, Neteyam looked away, dismissing him with a slight roll of his eyes.

He huffed lightly, putting a hand out to you which you grabbed eagerly, but only for a moment. You smiled to him then your eyes trailed to the pile of shells still on the ground.

As you reached down to collect the shells scattered along the beach, he stopped you with a gentle touch on your shoulder. "Let me do it," he said, his sharp smile illuminating his face.

You moved aside, letting him instead of protesting. You knew that he was just wanted to be helpful, a gentleman really.

You also figured that after his injury, he felt the need to be more of use. Ever since he and his family had arrived, he had played more of a protective role. He took care of his siblings, he tried to help your mother and father even though he wasn't comfortable enough to consider your village his home. He tried to learn your ways quickly, so he wouldn't be a bother.

With one arm pressed against his stomach, he carefully picked up the shells, holding them securely in his grasp. He reached out with his other hand and intertwined his fingers with yours, leading you on a walk back to your Marui.

"Thank you."

He was patient as you walked, you sometimes would lose some of your balance and he'd hold you steadily, laughing in a playful manner. "You are like a baby" He tells you, mimicking what you had told him when he had just started training with you.

You smiled, knowing his intentions were pure.

"Shh.."

Your mother gently laid your head in her lap. She selected small, delicate pearls, small shells and expertly weaved them into the loose strands of your hair. In the center of your forehead, she placed a large, lavender shell, its surface glistening in the light.

The tender touch of her hands, combined with the cool sensation of the pearls and shell in your hair, created a peaceful and comforting atmosphere. You felt completely secure and cherished in that moment, surrounded by your mother's love.

She hummed a song as she worked, the crackling of the fire inside your marui made you almost want to fall asleep. You were comfortable where you laid, your leg was not in constant pain, your wound was not disturbed.