chapter eight

"You mean, he hit? Him?"
"He called it a punch. Yes." You extended your arms stretching on your sleeping spot in your families marui. Tsireya sat beside you, she witnessed your father scolding Ao'nung for fighting with Neteyam and Lo'ak.

She had a worried face, you were pretty calm.

"Are they okay?" She placed an arm over her stomach and chewed her finger tips on her other hand.

"They're fine." You replied, sitting up with her. "Are you worried?"

"Yes. It is only their second day, they shouldn't fight." She quietly spoke to you, you nodded your head as she did.

"Ao'nung teased their sister, then he teased them. His friends too, they were angry. Driven by feelings," You sighed, you began to feel bad for them. Especially since you had told Neteyam he'd warm up to them eventually. Now you weren't so sure if that would ever happen.

You were also aware that Neteyam's father had saw you just relaxing against the tree watching. You didn't want to paint a bad picture in his head, not more than your brother already had.

You turned your head to Tsireya, "They slapped Lo'ak with their tails." You told her, your smile beginning to grow slowly across your face.

"And Neteyam too..They pulled on their tails." You tried to finish your sentence while you broke into small laughs between some words. Tsireya covered her mouth, she began to giggle. "Stop! We shouldn't laugh!"

"Ao'nung got shoved into the ground after only three hits.." You continued, still breaking up in laughs.

By that point, both you and Tsireya were quietly laughing, covering your mouths. You leaned your head on her shoulder and hid your face there. "We shouldn't laugh Y/N!"

"What was the one thing I asked?!" Jake's tail pinning up, he led his two sons into the marui. Neteyam holding the back of his hand to his mouth, probably wiping off blood.

"The one thing?!"

"Stay out of trouble.." Lo'ak responded, shamefully.

"Stay out of trouble." Jake spoke over him, sternly. Neteyam stepped in between the two, trying to calm his father. "Alright, it is my fault."

"I don't think so. You've got to stop taking the heat for this knucklehead."

"Look dad, Ao'nung was picking on Kiri..he called her a freak," Lo'ak put up as his defense. Jake stayed looking at him, backing off a bit. He sighed looking out of the hut then back at him.

"Go apologize to Ao'nung." Jake spoke; Neteyam looked at Lo'ak, as if he was hoping he'd say something.

"What?"

"He's the chiefs son. You understand?" Jake moved around back and forth between looking out the marui and then at his sons.

"I don't care how you do it, just go make peace. Just go."

Lo'ak didn't argue about it, he couldn't because he wouldn't win. And he was aware of that. He began to walk out of the hut, looking down, shaking his head.

Neteyam followed behind shortly after, Jake called out to him, stopping him. "Hey."

He turned around to face his father, "So what the other guys look like,"

"Worse," Neteyam replied, his tail pointing up and down again.

"That's good," Jake mumbled to him.

"A lot worse," Neteyam smiled, "Get out of here." Jake ended the conversation. Neteyam obeying him.