chapter nine

As time went on, you and Neteyam stayed in your positions. His head rested on your lap, you watched the waves overlapping each other, reaching the shore and falling back to the sea. For a moment, you two didn't talk. There was a comforting silence, you didn't feel the need to talk. Though it was weird, and out of character for you, you wondered if Neteyam also felt the same way.
The fact that you were allowing him so close to you was different, not in a bad way. You had also only known him for two days, so it wasn't exactly the most..logical thing to do.

But you were also aware you could tell yourself you didn't want to, or that you thought he was weird and chose to ignore him. Which you didn't want to do, so clearly it was something different.

You wanted to get to know him more though, even if you did feel somewhat comfortable with him, it was still good to know.

"Neteyam, what is your home like?" You asked, which you had done a while ago, but you both had to return home.

Neteyam opened his eyes to you, he had closed them prior, to rest after the day he just had. You lowered your gaze, moving a strand of hair that fell lose from your braids behind your ear.

"My home, oh yeah." He remembered this question from before, briefly thinking of his words before he began to speak.

"It is beautiful. The trees are large, the creatures are different from the ones here. They are fit for that place."

"How large?" You asked, "Very. They are taller than us, much taller. Our home is now the Tree of Souls. The closest connection we have to Eywa."

"Now?"

"The sky people destroyed Hometree. That was where my clan lived before the..sky people came and..destroyed it. I wasn't born yet, but my mother and father fought in the war against them."

You could easily tell Neteyam was worried. You couldn't blame him. This is the second time his parents had to flee their home. He continued talking anyway.

"My clan is humble, they are always welcoming to each other. I don't know about other clans though. I guess they'd be like yours," He sniffled, his hands resting on his stomach.

"Especially since the sky people have taken so much, destroyed so much, they cause fear and anger," He quietly spoke, his face relaxed to a solemn look.

"Your father came from them?" You questioned.

"Yes. The sky people come far from here. My dad is not like them."

"I know."

You frowned at his expression, you didn't mean to make him feel upset, you were sure it was even stressful recalling everything.

"I've never been high off the ground." You told him, "I think I would be scared. So it is amazing you are accustomed to that. You are brave." You tried to change the subject, even if you did want to know more. There would be another time for that, preferably when he's not fresh out of a fight.

"Why? You shouldn't, if I could take you, I would," His eyes hovered over your face, "You just have to be careful, I could help you."

"Are you inviting me to your home, Neteyam?"

"Yeah, what about it?" He raised a brow, you both slowly smiled, "My brothers and my sisters would go explore, swinging through the trees just like you all say we do." He teased, "You are not wrong either."

"Brothers?" You asked, last time you checked Lo'ak was the only brother of Neteyam. "Yes?" He replied, the tone of it sounding like he was asking a question. "You make it seem as if you have more than one brother? Lo'ak?"