chapter twenty-six

-a,n
this chapter is somewhat long, please take breaks while reading

under editing as of right now

Everything was set in its place, it was around the time where the sun would slowly begin to set.

You had been pulled away from your time with Neteyam, Tsireya escorted you back to the Marui.

Your mother had prepared a special outfit for the occasion, carefully weaving together pearls, shells, and threads of various colors and sizes to create a stunning ensemble. The top was adorned with shimmering shades of blue, lavender, and aqua, while the bottom featured a larger collection of shells that swayed with each step you took.

You could sense the happiness emitting from Ronal, a rare sight given her recent busy schedule and stress levels. Her bump was also adorned with a string of shells and petals, adding to the beauty of the moment. You limped towards her, giving her a gentle embrace, feeling her arms wrap around you and stroke the back of your head comfortingly.

"My dear girl, you are too small to be in this much pain," she whispered, rocking you gently.

You closed your eyes, resting your head onto her shoulder. "I'm okay."

The hug lasted for a few more seconds, you enjoying the warmth of your mother.

"You are a great warrior, Y/N. Do you understand?"

Eventually, Ronal pulled away, looking at you with pride and admiration.

"You are a great warrior, Y/N. Do you understand?" she asked.

You nodded, your shoulders relaxing, "I understand."

With one final adjustment to your hair, she led you out of the marui, being patient as you limped with the help of the crutch.

The celebration began when you and your family walked to the center of the village. Those who went out to fight were still wearing bandaids and gauges around their wounds, just like you.

Before any big announcements, you were joined by the other members of your village, all who had suffered their own injuries in the recent attack by the Sky People. But despite this, everyone was in high spirits, taking the time to appreciate friends and family who were alive, and those who were well. Many other Metkayina people from other villages had come to join the celebration, their own villages having been burned down by the Sky People.

You looked around, admiring the moment. You stood close with Tsireya. Ronal and Tonowari greeting and helping others. Ao'nung stood to your other side, surveying the crowd.

However, there was no sight of the Sully family. And definitely no sight of the human boy.

You hoped they would show up, as the celebration was partly in their honor, but you could understand if they had decided not to attend. Relations between your clan and the Sullys had been strained since their arrival, and with Spider's recent reunion with the family, tensions were even higher.

Tsireya tugged at your arm lightly, she smiled to you gently, "Y/N, are you okay?"

"Yes. I am just looking around."

"Are you looking for them?" She asked, knowing the answer already.

"Are you?" you returned the question.

"Yes," she said with a nod.

It would be obvious if they showed up, they'd contrast with everyone else's appearance.