Sword and Shield Arc Chapter 8 - Paint the Town Red

"I cannot believe this! I refuse even to acknowledge the thought! You dare accuse me of being weak enough for my Pokemon to be stolen!?"

Having walked up to the final gym, I crossed my arms, seeing Marnie and Hop talking to another trainer, who was throwing a tantrum, causing quite the scene. Feeling like I had to break up this party, I approached, clearing my throat. "You lot are causing a scene, you know?"

Hop turned to me, smirking. "Oh, hey, Y/N. Thought I'd run into you eventually; we've got a little bit of an issue here."

"If there's an issue, why are you smiling?"

"Cause the brat doesn't know any other expression." The boy throwing a fit barked, crossing his arms. "I refuse your help. I will get Chairman Rose's Pokemon back myself."

"What's this about the Chairman?"

Marnie sighed arms behind her back, glancing at me. "The Pokemon Chairman Rose let Bede borrow was stolen by what many refer to as the Phantom Imaginate. Now Rose is asking for the Pokemon back in time for the finals and well."

"Bede here is too ashamed to admit what happened." Hop finished off. "We offered to help get it back, bu-."

"Like I need the help of weaklings like you! For the record, I let this second-rate hack take Copperajah. Yes! It's all a part of my plan to impress the Chairman by catching this Phantom Imaginate in the act and bringing them to justice."

"That's ugh great and all but... Like." I pause, staring blankly at Bede. "You missed the step where you were meant to catch them."

"I do not need reminding!" He snapped, arms crossed, looking away. "Although, if you must insist, I suppose I can allow you to tag along as bait."

"Charming. You don't think this Phantom Imaginate is connected to the mass missing Pokemon case, do you?" I question, trying to give it some thought, only pulling a blank. "What's old undefeatable Champ doing about this?"

"Like he cares about something so beneath him."

Hop glared at Bede, not amused by the low jab, returning my question with his answer. "Leon is tied thin with the constant Dynamax cases popping up and causing quite a scare. I've heard the international Police might get involved."

"Well, luckily for you, one is already here in front of you. Agent Paldea, reporting for duty."

"Two-time Champion and now an undercover task force member. Is there anything you're not currently?" Marnie questioned.

"Bad at Pokemon battles." I tease, sticking my tongue out. "I'd rather not have Looker running the place and ruining the fun I've had. I'll find this Pokemon thief. Do we have anything to go off by?"

Bede ran his hand through his hair, scoffing. "I just happened to receive a calling card once the Copperajah was stolen. Here, take a look."

Taking the calling card, I flipped it around, reading it aloud. "To all those who use Pokemon for their twisted means, I will steal the very means you used to plague so many. To all the evil, The Phantom Imaginate will not rest... Sounds a bit dramatic, doesn't it? Evil team?"

I glanced at Bede, who shrugged off my advances. "What? As I said, the Pokemon belonged to Chairman Rose. Not me."

"Then wouldn't that logic suggest the Chairman is evil?" Marnie questioned.

"Ha! That is a load of rubbish; how could the Chairman be evil? He single-handedly is helping make Galar a better place day by day!" Bede snapped.

"Yeah, we can all see that... Evil team huh? Hey, Marnie, regarding Team Yell, they follow you whether you go. Do whatever you say?"