Scarlet Arc Chapter 10 - Past Meets Future Part 3

"My dream is almost within reach."

"You've gone too far; can't you see that?"

My head was spinning; my legs were unresponsive. Coughing, I began crawling towards the light as I saw a man look to be a mixture of shock and awe. Shivering, I held my hand out. "Please, help me."

"It worked, it worked. This is proof, right here and now!"

"You've gone too far, I agreed to aid you in this experiment, but this is wrong. He's just a child."

"I do not need to hear such trivial opinions from a copy. I will do anything to get her back; I'll rip apart all of the past, and she will be mine again. This boy will be the subject for my salvation."

"No. I said no. Koridon!"

I suddenly shifted away, Zorua in hand, as rageful screams echoed. "What have you done!? Miraidon, don't let him get away. Hyper Beam!"

A tremendous attack hit the Pokemon who was saving me, spinning it lost control, thunder and lightning.

Falling, Falling, Falling.

****

My breathing was spaced apart; I felt a pull drawing me at the moment we had landed. It was unbearable.

"Children, we have made it. However, we must act fast if we are to prevent any more destruction." Sada instructed, walking ahead, not paying any attention to us.

Arven was the first to approach, looking around. "So this is where they've been hiding from me all these years..."

"To think a place like this exists in Paldea, and none of us was wiser," Nemona whispered in awe. "I wish I was able to explore this place sooner."

Penny had her phone out taking pictures. "I don't think anyone has been allowed here for years; I've heard all the stories and history of this place. None of it lives up to what Area Zero really is."

"We shouldn't wait around, the Professor won't, and I want to see what kind of powerful Pokemon live here." Nemona bragged, looking at me troubled. "Y/N? Is something wrong?"

Hunched over, I found myself gasping for air; Zorua wasn't in much of a better situation, looking weak. I raised my hand to keep my bearings and avoid another panic attack. "I'm fine... I just feel like a heavy burden just swallowed me up. Can't you feel it?"

The three trainers looked at each other oblivious. "Apart from nerves, I feel no different," Penny admitted.

Forcing all my will up, I took a step forward out of it. "How can that be?"

"Should we turn back? We don't know how far this goes down." Arven asked.

"No! I'll be fine; something is drawing me, beckoning me to come closer."

"What is?"

"Home," I say, picking Zoura up and holding her in my arms. Trying to keep at a steady pace Nemona ran next to me, ready to catch me at any rate. "We're almost home, Mimi."

"Y/N, listen, I think it's about time we really discussed the possibility here. I know we promised to get you home but what if... What if that isn't a possibility anymore? We need to devise a backup plan."

"No, we're getting home. I just know it... We have to."

I stopped, overlooking the chasm seemly endless, vanishing into the dark below. Then, catching my breath, I sat down, cuddling Zoura and looking at the Pokemon flourishing. "If only Akari could see this, she would lose her marbles."

"Was she a friend of yours?"

I paused, smirking at this. "Friend might be a strong word. She was another member of the Survey Corps; there weren't many of us so we would work together quite a lot. But, man, we hardly got on at all, constantly bashing heads. Battling to vent and, and... What I'd do to hear her shout at me one more time. Never thought I'd miss Akari of all people, don't tell her I said that, Mimi."