The Truth

Tedros and Agatha received shocking and sad news shortly before the fire ravaged the palace.

Chaddick was dead. His bloodied corpse was found on the ground one day.

Apparently, he had tried to get to the Lady of the Lake to get away from the assassin, but she didn't help him. Even though he was Tedros' best friend and loyal to Camelot. In addition, after the Lady saw she had made a mistake, she refused to see anyone, not even Merlin or Agatha.

The court suspected an assassination attempt, since Chaddick would be Tedros' main knight, and was his closest, most loyal friends. Nobody knew who could be responsible for it, however.

This was a bad time for this to happen. Agatha was expecting her first child soon, Sophie's wedding would occur soon as well (surprisingly, she was excited about it), and Tedros was dealing with dissatisfied people. A few days later, another disaster happened.

Agatha smelled smoke while she was in her rooms. She was nervous when it didn't go away, but the maid assured her it was from the kitchen. They were roasting pig. Agatha accepted this explanation until the smoke became suffocating, and she heard screams of agony, fear, and grief.

Agatha opened her door and ran through the corridors to the main hall, but was stopped by some guards. They were covering their faces to shield themselves from the smoke.
"Your Majesty!! Please follow us. We have to get you out. There's a fire."

Agatha was stunned, and she couldn't move even though her brain was screaming for her to move at least one limb. "Where? How?"

"It started in the throne room, where His Majesty was. His Majesty is dead, along with all the others with him. We suspect it was an assassination attempt on King Tedros, since Sir Chaddick had been murdered earlier. The fire can't be put out. It has been from sorcery or something!"

"Tedros..." Agatha's voice was breaking, and her brown bug eyes were becoming glassy. The guards looked at her with pity. "I'm so sorry, my Queen," said a tall one, "but we have to get you out."

Agatha could hardly walk. Tears both of irritation from the smoke and pain streamed down her face. She passed out, but was managed to be taken away safely.

                              ◇◇◇

She woke up in a cottage with Guinevere holding her hand. "Thank goodness you're safe, Agatha!" Agatha remembered everything that happened. She felt anger, relief, fear, horror, and sadness all at once.

"Tedros.. He- they said that--" Guinevere smiled. "He's alive. Merlin saved him, in time too, before the burning ceiling fell. He tried to save the others, but... it couldn't be helped."

Agatha sighed in relief. But then she sank back in exhaustion. "And Camelot?"

"Destroyed, Merlin said. It was awful... Did you see the bodies there? Tedros feels sorry he couldn't do anything. It's not his fault. It wasn't anyone's fault."

"Can I see him?" She was led to Tedros, who was in a depressed mood. "Tedros, you're safe!" She ran up to him, and kissed him. She embraced him so tight he could have suffocated. He was truly here in her arms after she experienced a whole night believing he was gone for good and she would never see him again. Why wasn't he happy?

"Safe at the expense of other people's lives."

"You couldn't do anything!! Even if you did save a few, what would that do to help Camelot? The guard said the fire couldn't even be put out!"

"He said it was enchanted. There were some suspicious people lurking around. People who looked just like the servants we know, but were behaving different. I personally think he was put under a spell. All of them. Guards should naturally be alert to any suspicious activity."