The Arrest

Sophie expected to be coddled and worshipped by the entire court due to her condition. At the School for Good and Evil, everyone had to say that Sophie would be the best mother in the kingdom, that her child would be better than any of them, and some even decided to make a musical in honor of Sophie.

She would be offended if nobody even acknowledged her. She was taking Japeth to a teacher so he could start learning how to control his scims. Well, actually, the servants had to take him, but Sophie wanted to show what a loving mother she was, despite her status in life and despite the fact that this child really wasn't hers, no matter what the law said.

On the way out, Sophie was approached by a guard. She glared at him.

"I thought the rules said you have to keep a certain distance from me? I don't befriend lowly guards, for your information."

"Your Majesty, there's a security threat. Some woman is claiming to see you. She so happens to look like and take the identity of the late Queen Agatha of Camelot. We believe it's someone trying to infiltrate the palace."

"Why are you running to me then, like a pathetic baby?" Sophie shook her head. "Don't you know Rafal sealed the gates? Nobody can get in unless he lets them. Or me."

"She keeps claiming she's Agatha, Your Majesty. She has a little girl with her. I wanted to know if you would like to see her, because maybe it's true. Pardon me taking liberties, my Queen, in speaking to you."

"Can I see for myself?"

The guard bowed his head. "And the child, my Queen?"

"Take care of him for now."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Something made Sophie feel sick. Agatha, appearing? Maybe they were coming back. Maybe they heard about that other claimant to the throne.

At the gate, she found Agatha with her daughter. They both were dressed in plain clothes,  most likely a result of their exile.

"What is the name of your cat?" Sophie asked. She could never be too sure.

"Reaper."

"When is your daughter's birthday?"

Agatha hesitated. She probably didn't want the guards to hear, but they were far away.

"November 24."

Sophie decided to open the gates. She ordered the guards and the servants to be silent and say nothing or waste time asking questions.

The other nobles were in some court meeting with Rafal, and Sophie wasn't sure if it was going so well.

"I came here to help you. Well, that, and help Tedros with Camelot. But anyway, how have you been? You look a bit tired."

"I am tired, Aggie. There is so much work and so many stupid people."

"Try to rest, and do only a little bit each day. That's what I did. It helps. Also,you aren't doing that diet or whatever of yours, are you? It helps to eat more too."

Sophie blushed. "I tried to avoid meat and flour, but I couldn't go on anymore. I  had to eat something different, and some foods I would eat before disgust me now."

"Pretty sure that's normal, Sophie."

"It's annoying. How is Callis? Poor girl. I am going to have a beautiful dress made for her, befitting a princess. I can call my seamstress right now."

"Not today, thank you. She is doing well, and she is quite social. She loves when our friends come over. Sometimes she's a bit distracting.
"She is also very brave. She isn't even afraid of Hester or the stymphs they ride on."