True and False

Tedros realized that it would be his daughter's birthday very soon. In just a few days, in fact.

However, he had to get to the Lady.

It started snowing furiously, so much that Agatha worried Callis would catch a cold. Callis was wrapped in a fur coat that Sophie actually gave her as a gift and a plain black scarf. Tedros tried begging the Lady to help him. He told her he wouldn't judge her and that he still loved and admired her.

She finally came out of her castle, looking so different than before. Instead of looking like the ethereal beauty she once was, she looked like an old hag.

She let them enter her castle, Callis included. Only the stymph was left outside. Tedros hoped it wouldn't have the nerve to leave them alone in this place. He didn't want to freeze to death, either.

She said nothing for a long time, just curling up in a corner and moping.

"You didn't know Chaddick was the heir," Tedros told her, aiming for gentle. "I wouldn't have known either, and if someone came with great promises, who knows? I might have believed them."

"I buried him beside Arthur," she said to herself mournfully, "which was the least I could do. But don't you see Tedros? I failed. I failed to protect the heir of your father's. And look at me now! The punishment I deserve."

"You made a mistake, like anyone does. I'm supposed to be King of Camelot and look at all the stupid mistakes I did," Tedros countered. "I still trust you. In fact, I came here because I wanted something true. I can't believe anything anyone says, and I need to know what is true first before I can make the proper decision about how to reclaim my crown. You made Excalibur, now trapped in stone again."

The Lady looked up at him, tears still streaming down her cheeks. She took a deep breath. "I made that sword to resist evil, but it seems evil has made its way into Camelot. The last time I saw your father-- I couldn't believe my eyes. He was drunk and a mess. It broke my heart to see him like that, knowing how he used to be. If you're using me to get what you want--"

"I'm not!" Tedros flared. "I'm here because I really trust you. I know you knew my father once. You made that sword for him. I need your help with Camelot. You may not be able to give me power, but advice, surely."

The Lady thought for a moment. "Anything can happen. I showed your father that. I don't see the future like a seer can." She finally looked Tedros in the eye. "You can even die in the attempt, Tedros."

Silence reigned for some minutes. Agatha, especially, was tense. The last thing she wanted was Tedros dead. She wanted to tell him to stop and just leave Camelot alone. He would probably protest, but that didn't silence her thoughts. Sometimes, she wondered if Tedros really cared for the family or he was constantly trying to prove himself worthy.

"If I die, I die," he said solemnly, "but I want to die knowing I fought for what was mine." He walked up to the Lady, whom he heard Merlin speak of by name a few times-- Nimue. "Agatha and I would risk death for our love. That's how she and I got engaged. And I really want you to know that you can't give up on yourself. I needed to learn that. Even when you fail, it's not the end."

"Really?"

"Really."

She looked at him for a long time, then slowly gave him an apple.

"What's this for?" he whispered.

"It has my Wizard Wish. I wanted to give it to you just in case you need it. Merlin obviously doesn't have his anymore, and it's the least I can do to help you. The real King of Camelot."