The Enemy

Tedros was starting to take his army seriously. Training was taking all day, with Merlin's help. Hester, Anadil, and Dot would continue investigating the situation at Calmaria. Nobody would stop them for now because they had a good reputation already with the whole Aric case.

"We need to find a way to enter the prisons," Hester told her companions, "because according to what we know, Aric is locked up in Camelot. Who knows who else may be there. Remember how Sophie told us her children are gone?"

"Problem is, magic won't work," Anadil retorted, "because of King Arthur."

"We could use our investigations as a ruse to get inside," Hester responded. "I'm not afraid of them or what they can do. I am prepared for whatever happens at this point."

"Do you think Tedros will win?" Dot asked while nibbling some chocolate.

"If he doesn't do anything stupid and listens to the advice of Merlin and his wife, he should at least have a good start," Hester said sourly. "Though knowing little Everboy, who knows?"

"If he cares enough for his life and his family, he should do what was intended," Anadil piped in. "I just wonder what Armand will do when we expose him and his lies."

"There's no saving him," Hester replied. "Judging by his behavior, even he knows he's running out of time. His facade is about to crack."

◇◇◇
Violence at Calmaria Castle reached its peak. Multiple assassination attempts on the King and Queen, as well as other members of court were made. Only one was successful.

And so, Rafal and Sophie called upon Hester, Anadil, and Dot to help them find out the cause of these attempted murders. They interviewed some suspects, all Armand's minions. However, most of them were not involved in the violence, nor did they even have any knowledge of what was going on.

"Where is Lord Benoit?" Hester asked, a trifle harshly. The filthy snake won't show himself, she thought. He instigated all this. "And what about the princesses? if we ask them questions, they might know something. Perhaps a suspicious attendant."

Rafal stared at Hester for a few minutes, in suspicion and distrust. "Do you believe my sisters are plotting against me? What makes you think so?" Sophie shot the girls a warning glare.

"We don't think they had anything to do with it, Your Majesty," Dot chirped, "but they may know someone that is suspicious. Even their most loyal servants could have something to do with it."

Rafal sighed. "I'll ask them, but I am certain they will take it the wrong way. Though if they are not a part of these ridiculous plots circulating around, there should be nothing to fear. I care more for my family's safety than for some petty complaints. I do admire your insight. You really should work for us." He turned to Sophie. "Do you agree, my love?"

Sophie shrugged. "I don't know. Don't you have investigating to do? We don't have all day. Another plot could be brewing up as we speak. We could all end up dead. And no, darling, I really don't trust the Storian will save us this time. It can't at some point if the nobles at Camelot keep encouraging rings to be burnt." Hester and Anadil glanced at Dot, whose father was the owner of one of those rings.

"Well, we'll be off then," Hester said, "don't wanna be dead."

The moment the three witches left, Lord Benoit came into the scene. "Has any progress been made, Your Majesty?" Both King and Queen ignored him. Armand smiled thinly. "Your Majesty?"

"Unfortunately," Sophie responded with an impatient tone of voice, "we haven't gotten far. Have you made any progress with your work?" She turned to face him, a smile of contempt across her face. "What about Camelot?"