fourty five

"Shh

"Shh." Carlos shushed as everyone quickly gathered around the bunk that held the birthday boy. "Okay, I'm gonna count to three."

"On three or after three?" Kourtney said, causing Soul to shake her head.

"Not this again." Soul said.

"Happy Birthday!" Maddox started, causing everyone to exclaim with her, causing the boy to jerk awake.

"Happy Birthday, Ricky!"

"And happy opening night, to those keeping score." EJ said, looking around at the group, "Our show might be in danger, but right now our focus is Ricky."

"Guys, you shouldn't have." Ricky said, slowly sitting up in his bunk. "For real, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"You're an old man now?" Jet jokingly said.

"But wait, There's more." Carlos said.

"There is?" Ashlyn said, sounding confused.

"The one person who couldn't possibly miss your big day." Soul said, placing her elbow on Carlos' shoulder.

"Come one in. your best friend is old enough to vote." Carlos said, causing the cabin door to swing open.

"Please tell me these bunks are air-conditioned." Big Red said, emerging from behind the door with a cake in hand.

"Biggie?" Ashlyn said, happily.

"Of course you showed up." Ricky said, pulling his best friend into a hug.

"We've spent every birthday together since pre-school." Big Red said.

"Yeah, and of course you brought the lotto ticket." Ricky said.

"Brought a what now?" Big Red said, sounding confused.

"A lotto ticket?" Ricky said, looking at the group behind him before looking back to Big Red. "It's the last thing on my bucket list. That's why you're here, right?"

"You walked on the moon?" Big Red said, looking at the boy surprised.

"He actually did it all this summer." Jet explained. "I'm Jet. Who are you?"

"I am Ashlyn's boyfriend." Big Red said, opening his arms open for a hug.

"My friend first." Ricky said.

"If we're getting technical, he was actually my friend first, you missed the first day." Soul said, smirking at the boy as she patted his arm before going to greet Big Red.

"Yeah, yeah." Ricky said, playfully rolling his eyes, looking over to EJ. "We good for tonight?"

"Yeah, we're all good." EJ said, nodding his head, causing the two boys to fist bump.

"I feel like I missed so much." Big Red said, smiling at the group, causing Ashlyn to let out a nervous chuckle.

"Excuse me." Ricky said, making his way through the group as he took a seat as everyone gathered around in front of him.