thirty three

It was finally opening night for the Wildcats production of Beauty and the Beast

Nervous was an understatement of how Soul was filling at that moment in time as she paced back and forth in the hallway, reciting the songs quietly and quickly to herself.

Yes, I made the choice
For Papa, I will stay
But I don't deserve to lose my freedom in this way
You monster!

If you think that what you've done is right
Well then, you're a fool
Think again

"How are we doing over here?" A voice asked from behind the girl, causing her to quickly turn around to face EJ, causing him to see the nervous look on her face. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I don't... I don't know. It's just as soon as I walked in here it seemed like all of my emotions hit me at once. Like what if I forget my lines on stage. What if I fall or trip and embarrass myself in front of everyone here." Soul ranted, feeling hot tears running down her face as she felt her breathing pick. "I mean it's been years since I've played a lead and to be playing the main character of the entire musical... I don't know if I can do it."

"Hey, hey, hey. Look at me, deep breaths." EJ said, placing his hands on the girl's shoulders as he rubbed them, letting the girl catch her breath as the duo slid down the wall. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's just... I was diagnosed with anxiety after my dad died along with situational depression. I mean I've been fine for over a year, It hasn't been that bad since... that doesn't matter." Soul said, shaking her head, smiling at the boy. "Thank you."

"No need to thank me, besides I know if I needed support you'd be right beside me guiding me through." EJ said, smiling at the girl, causing the girl to lay her head on his shoulder, causing the pair to sit in a comfortable silence.

Soon a group of dancers came rushing by, quickly making their way into the backstage area where everyone was.

"We should go." Soul said, lifting her head off the boy's shoulder, causing him to nod.

"Yeah." EJ said, quickly standing from his spot before holding his hand out for the girl. "Ma'lady."

"Why thank you kind sir." Soul said, quickly pulling herself up as the two made their way into the backstage.

"Ah, there they are!" Nini said, shuffling through the cards in her hands, approaching the pair as they made their way into the room. "For the leading lady and the bluster! Don't open these til we get to Slices tonight, okay?"

That caused Soul and EJ to quickly look at each other before looking back at Nini.

"Um, yeah." Soul said, causing Nini to look at them confused.