Chapter 58: Things Take a Turn

Begin

~Normal POV

12/3 - Saturday

Yu and Yosuke were walking to school. As was expected of schools, they didn't close, even when there is dense fog covering the town and people are panicking about it being poisonous. And it was even more expected that exams weren't canceled either. Nothing about this surprised them. But the fog still covering the town was a surprise. It'd been over a week, and the weather just stayed like this. The weather report even said it wasn't going to change anytime soon...

"Man, this fog just won't quit..." Yosuke said.

"I know, it's fucking weird..." Yu replied.

"The weather report said it might start snowing soon, but what's going to happen if it snows with all this fog?"

Yu shrugged in response. A little snow would be nice, just to have some change of scenery at this point. But if the fog wasn't going away then it'd probably just drown it out. At this point, they noticed the rest of the team approaching them together. (Minus Teddie, who had to work.) Thanks to the fog, they almost ran right into each other too.

"The fog's so thick that sometimes you can't see your nose in front of your face, so everyone's forming groups now," Chie explained.

"It's definitely been weird lately." Yosuke said, "And it's cold too..."

Rise, taking an opportunity from being scared by the lack of visibility, latched onto Yu's arm for comfort. He just smiled a little and let her do so. He loved it when she did this. Even though it made the others roll their eyes a little.

"It really is hard to see anything in this though." She said, frowning. "It's just like on the other side."

Kanji perked up upon hearing that and pulled his special glasses out of his pocket, putting them on quickly. "What? Guys, put on your glasses!"

Everyone did as he said and put on their glasses. Weirdly, just like in the tv world, they noticed that the fog cleared up while they were wearing them. The sky was still plenty grey, but they could see the streets again normally.

"Whoa... it's all clear..." Yukiko said.

"What the hell is going on?!" Yosuke asked.

"These glasses are meant to help us see through the fog in the other world..." Naoto said, "But putting that aside, no glasses would improve one's vision in a fog, under normal circumstances."

"Then, um..." Chie said, "Could the fog from over there be leaking into our world?"

Everyone stared at her in shock and alarm. They never even considered the possibility of the fog being the same as on the other side. They just assumed it was normal fog that they have here in the real world.

"Huh?" Chie said, looking at them with confusion. "Y-You guys think that's it? I was kinda expecting you to ignore it as Chie being random again... It's just a thought..."

But even if it was just a guess, she had made the most logical conclusion they'd heard yet.

~...

Today was the last day of exams, so everyone was let out after school feeling a little happier to have those out of the way. The team all went to their special headquarters to talk more about the case, and to let Teddie in on the discussion. Despite the fog, a majority of places were still open for business, including Junes. Though most people had an aversion to going outside now, unless it was necessary. Yu even noticed a few people had started wearing gas masks around town because of the fog... A bit extreme, but on the chance that they weren't just being paranoid, he understood completely.