Chapter 69: The Last Mystery

Begin!

~Normal POV

3/20 - Tuesday

Today was Yu's last day in Inaba. He was getting on the train tomorrow morning. And he finished packing all his stuff last night. Of course he wanted to stay. He'd be a fool otherwise. But it was for the best that he straightened things out with his parents before making such a decision. He wanted to tell them about the things he'd experienced here. They deserved to know about the gang and their impact on his life. He'll have to introduce them someday, after all. (Especially Rise. He had a feeling his family would like her. Dojima and Nanako did, so why wouldn't his parents?)

His last month had been spent as lively as possible. Everyone kept their spirits up for him. There was no need for a gloomy atmosphere. Their leader deserved to enjoy his remaining time with them. Whether it was goofing around with Yosuke and Teddie, or enjoying a date with Rise, or anything that involved the whole gang. They even took a second ski trip to bring Nanako along.

Much of his morning was spent with him visiting people around town to say his goodbyes. Everyone he'd helped this year had a special farewell for him. Even Margaret had some kind words for him. And he convinced her to settle for a handshake instead of how she actually wanted to send him off. (There was just no way in hell he'd ever let her do that.) And tonight, there was going to be a party at the house for the gang. He was sure Dojima was going to have a fun time trying to keep a house full of rowdy teenagers in check. Especially with Teddie around.

Living in Inaba had changed his life so much. He knew the value of loyalty, had made the most solid friendships he'd ever had in his life, he had a beautiful idol for a girlfriend, and they even saved the world and caught a murderer... But despite all that, there was something nagging at him today. He could call it a final puzzle. It was about his powers. Igor was never clear with him on why he was given the awesome power of Persona. He just... had it.

Perhaps it wasn't just something that came to his mind today. No, he must have had this thought lingering in the back of his head for a while now, and always found reason to ignore it. But really... why? Why was he blessed with this power? Why were any of them? Was there a reason? Or was it sheer dumb luck? He found it hard to dismiss it as a coincidence.

Speaking of which, he decided that he wanted to have a final moment at the special headquarters before tomorrow. When he arrived, he was quick to see that the rest of the team had the same thought and joined him, even without him asking. They all ate lunch together in the food court, chatting happily and teasing each other.

"I really had fun in this world." Teddie said, smiling.

"Dude, your whole existence is about fun." Yosuke replied, "Well, what we've gone through wasn't all fun and games, but I gotta say... I've never been so fulfilled in my life."

"It seems like we've been working on this forever..." Chie said, thoughtfully. "But at the same time, it felt like it went by so fast. We won't ever gather here again like this... or tear our hair out trying to solve mysteries..."

This dampened the mood quite a bit.

"Even if we wanted to talk about it all, there were so many extraordinary things that no one would believe us." Yukiko said, "Come to think of it... For me it all started when Chie told me about the Midnight Channel."

"She told us about it too," Yosuke replied.

Yu gave Chie a curious look. "Where the hell did you learn about it in the first place?"

Chie shrugged, "It was a random rumor. A lot of girls were trying it out."

"Huh. I wonder how it started then," Kanji said.