Chapter 21: Break in the Case

Begin!

~Normal POV

6/19 - Sunday

Yu was having another quiet dinner with his family that evening. As usual, they listened to the tv as they ate. He was grateful for this, as it was easy to watch the news for potential case updates while leaving his uncle none the wiser about his true reason for doing so. Tonight however, the news was switched over to an entertainment story. This one was particularly interesting. The famous idol, Rise Kujikawa, was talking to the paparazzi about her upcoming work hiatus.

"That concludes Rise Kujikawa's statement regarding her temporary leave of absence from the entertainment industry. We're short on time, so if anyone has any remaining questions, we ask that you keep them brief."

"I'm Ishioka from Lady's View. It says here that you'll be recuperating- are you facing physical problems?"

"No, my health isn't an issue..."

"Psychological problems then?"

"What?"

Yu glanced at the tv again and smiled a little. Rise always looked great on camera...

"Rumor has it you'll be staying with your relatives, but isn't that in Inaba? Where the murders have been taking place?!"

Yu happened to be taking a bite of his rice when he heard that and very nearly choked on it in shock. He had to whack his chest a few times and cough. Beside him, Dojima noticed this reaction and side-eyed him with a raised brow. Yu didn't notice this as his full attention was on the tv now.

"Is it true that they run a traditional tofu shop? Will you be helping out with the family business?"

"No more questions! This press conference is over! Clear the way, please! Ms. Kujikawa needs her rest!"

Yu was understandably a little excited. An idol, a real idol- was coming to Inaba?! For a town that was so small, it was sure about to get a lot more lively. And that bit about the tofu shop was intriguing too. He'd passed by such a place in the shopping district many times, but he'd never gone in. It was the only one he knew of in town, so it might possibly be the one they were referring to...

"Is Rise-chan quitting her job on tv," Nanako asked, curiously.

"Who knows?" Dojima replied. "But if this is her hometown, we'll have to deal with everyone who's trying to get a glimpse..." He gave Yu a knowing look.

Yu sheepishly went back to eating his dinner; avoiding his gaze. He should have been more calm in his reaction just now. He could feel his uncle seeing right through him...

Dojima rolled his eyes and added. "Rise Kujikawa, huh? The one good thing about this town was that it had nothing of note, and now we get all the buzz... What's going on?"

"It seems like a coincidence..." Yu said, quietly.

"Yeah... Well, listen-" Dojima turned a stern gaze to his nephew. "That girl may be famous, but you'd better not bother her when she gets here. She deserves her privacy."

"Yes, uncle..." Yu said, chuckling nervously.

"Are you a fan of Risette, too, big bro?" Nanako asked, smiling.

"Uh, yeah, I like her music." He answered. "And her voice is beautiful..." He added, internally. "Why do you ask?"

Nanako snickered. "Cause your face is all red!" Yu looked away embarrassedly as they heard the tv switch back to the regular news.