Chapter 36: New Student

Begin!

~Normal POV

9/1 - Thursday

It was once again time to head back to school after a long summer vacation. It always felt like it was over before it even started. This was the first day of their second term. Yu walked to school as usual. He ran into Chie, Yukiko, and Yosuke on the way and fell into step with them as they chatted leisurely. Mainly the conversation was just about how they didn't want to go back to school. But as they approached the gate they found an unusual sight.

Naoto was standing at the front gate nonchalantly. He perked up upon seeing them approach. He was still wearing that same blue hat, but the rest of his appearance was what really threw them off. He was wearing a Yasogami school uniform. Unlike Yu and Yosuke, he kept his shirt tucked into his black pants. He wore his uniform perfectly proper, except for the hat. And he had a school bag in one hand. Seeing him dressed like this really emphasized how small he was. (Though he was still wearing those platform shoes.) Yu briefly wondered if he had some kinda muscle condition or something. He really was scrawny for a boy his age.

"Good morning," Naoto greeted, politely; as they reached the gate.

"Y-You...?! You're that, uh... pint-sized detective!" Yosuke blurted out in surprise.

"I beg your pardon?!" Naoto said, his voice rising a pitch in shock and offense. "My name is Naoto. Please, don't give people bizarre nicknames you make up on the spot."

Yu nudged Yosuke with a stern look. "Yeah, Yosuke, you should apologize to Naoto-san."

Yosuke rubbed his now sore arm, frowning as he realized what Yu was asking for. "Ah... r-right. Uh, ahem- sorry for that... and for what I said last time we spoke. It was... rude and I apologize."

Naoto raised a curious brow at him, but nodded in acceptance. "Thank you. I appreciate that." He looked a bit happier to hear it.

"Anyway, Naoto-san," Yu said, getting back on track. "I didn't know you went to our school...?" He gestured to the boy's uniform.

"My cooperation with the police has come to an end." Naoto said, "However, there are aspects of the case with which I remain unconvinced. There are some family-related issues as well, so I've decided to stay here for the present. From today forth, I'll be a first-year at your high school. And I felt that I should at least introduce myself to you all. I trust that our relations will be cordial, senpai." He smiled a little and turned around to head inside.

"...He's our underclassman?" Chie asked, curiously.

"Apparently..." Yosuke said, blinking in surprise.

~...

After school, the second year members of the Investigation Team met up at the entrance area next to the shoe lockers. It was a real chore to have to listen to Kashiwagi again after getting to avoid her for a month. Hence why they chose to leave the classroom for their discussion. They just wanted to get the hell away from her.

"Man, school's as dull as ever." Yosuke whined. "With the case closed, the days feel so empty all of a sudden..."

"Come on, Yosuke, everything went back to normal!" Chie said, "It's a good thing!"

"I didn't mean it that way. It's just..."

"Hey, we're stopping by Junes later, right?" Yukiko said, "Why don't we ask Naoto-kun to join us? I just thought... since he doesn't know anyone yet, he must feel lonely..."

"Didn't he say he came here to help out with the murder case?" Yosuke asked. "With the case closed, he's just an ordinary guy now... And if you think about it, that makes him a transfer student... just like us."