𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

( 𝖼𝗈𝗅𝗅𝖾𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗃𝖺𝗋 𝗈𝖿 𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍𝗌 )

SO SATURDAY HIT. Gwen was getting ready, playing her playlist on Spotify, feeling excited. Gwen's mom noticed, she wanted to know why her daughter was getting ready and all dolled up.

"Why are you so happy today?" Anne asked and Gwen looked up from her vanity mirror to see Anne standing at her door.

"No reason" Gwen said bashfully, hiding her growing smile. Anne quickly connected the dots, the pretty dress, the shiny shoes she hasn't worn since god knows when, the make up, it was a boy.

Anne gasped. "Oh it's a boy!" She gushed and Gwen blushed in embarrassment at her mothers reaction.

"Mom!" Gwen exclaimed and Anne jumped on her bed, kicking her feet in the air, like a little kid.

"Tell me who it is" Anne begged as she was excited. Anne knew that she instilled into her daughter that grades and school come first, but it didn't stop the giddiness she felt as she watched her only daughter get ready for a date with a boy.

Who is he? Gwen thought. The person you tell me to never interact with. "He's nobody"

"He's some body if you're all giddy like this, you two hanging out?" Anne asked as she raised her eyebrows up and down. She knew they were going in a date, but she wanted to tease her daughter.

"Maybe" Gwen mumbled out as she put blush on her face.

"What time is he coming over? Anne asked as she sat up correctly on the edge of the bed.

"Six" Gwen responded and Anne nodded.

"Exciting, need help?" She asked and Gwen looked at her through her mirror.

"I think I'm good mom" Gwen said and Anne sighed. She stood up and took one last look at her daughter.

"Wow, my daughter is growing up" And it was true. She was going on a date, she liked boys and girls and everyone in between, she has secrets, had rumors spread around her, she knows how to drive—kind of—safely enough to someone's house, she was growing up and for some reason Anne felt guilty.

Was she too harsh on Gwen? Did she put too much pressure on her? She just dint want Gwen to end up like her. Dependent on people when Gwen was young. She wants Gwen to be stable, that's why she pushed Gwen so hard in her studies.

"It's just a date" Gwen said dismissively, hoping her mother didn't see through her. Not just the fact that she was excited, but the fact that Gwen was happy. Seeing her mom like this, actually invested in her life.

She was savoring this moment. The normalcy of it all. It felt pleasant. Gwen would remember this.

"Where is he taking you?" Anne asked.

Gwen shrugged her shoulders."I don't know actually, kinda nervous about it"

"Well does he know you?" Anne asked. Does Marcus know Gwen? Or does he only know the Gwen in his head.

"I'd say he does" She replied, not feeling confident in her words. Why was that?

"Then he's going to be perfect" Anne said, she had hope for her daughters first date. "Okay, I'll leave you to it then"