𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

( 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅𝗂𝗇𝗀𝗌 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝗁𝖺𝗋𝖽 )

GWEN HEARD THE NEWS and she didn't know what to think. Just hours ago Gwen was at her breaking point, and her mother acted like nothing happened as usual. Every went back to normal, but it wasn't.

Gwen looked down at her thigh, face twisting at the sight. She didn't realize, but when Marcus snuck up on her, the blade went a little too deep and too far to the right. It was taking a while to heal, putting a bandage wrapped around it didn't stop it from hurting, or feeling the friction of her jeans on it, even wearing sweatpants hurt.

It stung. It stung like her heart for Marcus. Gwen hadn't heard anything yet, and she was feeling even worse. Knowing that Marcus was riding his motorcycle while leaving her house was enough for her to feel—no, not feel, know that it was her fault. If she didn't freak out, if she didn't feel the need to defend herself or push him away, if she only said I love you back, he wouldn't be hurt.

Gwen's phone rang, she heard it ring two times before it was picked up by the other person. "Max?"

"Hey Gwenie" Max said softly. Max might hate her bother, but she was still worried. Feeling glum about his presence not being around after doctor visits and staying in his room.

Gwen stood up from her bed and looked outside her window. "How's, uh, how is he?" She asked as she looked at his house. They were just diagonal and one house down to the right from one another, she couldn't really see, but she could see their drive way.

"He's okay, he's getting a CAT scan, he should be back now" Max assured and Gwen could feel her self slightly relax. Only slightly.

"Max I'm—"

"Don't be sorry." Max assured. "I know he was leaving your house but, it wasn't your fault, wasn't even stupid Marcus's. Shit happens" Max explained and Gwen could feel tears fill her eyes. "Don't cry Gwenie"

Gwen chuckled and looked up, trying to make her tears not fall. "How did you know?"

"Marcus talks about you a lot, especially about your habits" Max said and Gwen smiled at her words.

"He does?" Gwen asked as she felt herself choke up. She didn't know why Marcus's actions were affecting her. Perhaps it was everything going on. Her mom, grades, Marcus, herself.  Everything felt too much and Marcus being the way he is, caused her to feel a swell in her heart, but tears in her eyes and she didn't know if they were good or bad.

"You know he does" Max said lightly and Gwen remained silent. She didn't know what to say, other than to apologize.

Gwen sighed. "Max I'm sorry"

"What did I say?" Max asked and Gwen turned around and sat down on her bed. No longer looking through her window.

"Still" Gwen said and Max hummed.

"I know"

Gwen let out a breath. "Thanks for the updates Maxie"

"You're welcome Gwenie"

When the phone call ended, Gwen heard a car pull up a few feet away. She shot up from her bed and walked to her window, she saw Ellen's car pull into their driveway. She watched as she helped Marcus out of the car, he looked pretty beat up. He was limping, Gwen felt even more guilt. She caused that.