TWENTY EIGHT

Everyone was a lot less professional, and a lot less sober by now as the night drew to a close. 

You had your wings back, your friends weren't leaving, Maverick wasn't leaving. 

Rooster wasn't leaving. 

Everyone you loved was staying right here, and you'd finally be a part of the Dagger Squad. 

Warlock reminded you it was time to forget protocols for one night, so there you were on the makeshift dancefloor, a smile plastered across your face.

Being the best friend of the southern boy of the group had its perks, and right now, you were putting them to use. 

You and Hangman had dragged the majority of the remaining guests and your friends onto said dancefloor, pushing the chairs and tables out of the way. 

Slow Ride blared through the speakers, but now, no one was complaining like they did that first night at the Hard Deck. No, now they were watching the two of you intently as you taught them the steps to a traditional Texan line dance. One that Hangman had taught you only a year earlier, the last time you visited him in his hometown.

"You alright?" Maverick said, patting Rooster's shoulder. 

The pair were slightly off to the side, watching you dance around with Hangman with smiles on their faces. 

You looked so happy.

"Can I ask you something?" Rooster turned to the man.

"Anything, Bradley."

"Why did you pull my papers? What's the real reason?"

Maverick was stunned for a moment, and hesitated. He knew this would come. And he knew he would have to face the music sooner or later.

"I just...I don't want to start fresh without knowing everything. I can't handle any more secrets, Mav."

"I know," Maverick sighed, "(Y/N) told me to tell you years ago. Maybe if I had, none of this would have happened. But I couldn't, Bradley, I couldn't have you hate your mom the way you hated me."

"My mom?"

"Before she died, she made me promise. She never wanted you to fly, that's why she pushed going to college with (Y/N) so hard. She didn't want that for you, but she knew she couldn't stop you. You're just as stubborn as Goose."

"Oh, my god."

"I'm so sorry, Rooster. She made me promise to pull your papers and I couldn't break yet another promise to your parents, I couldn't-"

"I get it, Mav." Rooster said. 

He found himself calm, which was completely unexpected by the two men. 

Maverick had expected him to scream, to cry, to yell, just like he did six years ago. 

But he wasn't. 

"Oh my god, Mav, I'm so sorry."

"What?" Maverick was completely lost. "Why are you apologising to me?"

"All these years I've hated you, all these years I hurt you and (Y/N), all these years wasted being an ass because I was too fucking stubborn-"

"It's alright, Bradley, truly."

"It's not! Look at the damage I caused. I spent all these years without my family. You should hate me as much as I did you."

"Look," Maverick stopped him, placing a hand on his shoulder, and beckoning out to the group, where you were now being twirled around by Hangman as Phoenix and Fanboy tried to keep up with the moves.