FIFTEEN

You woke up snuggled on the couch, Halo's head in your lap, Phoenix sprawled on the other side with her arm hanging over the edge. 

Just at that second, your alarm rang, making all three of you jump awake. 

It seemed that the three of you had gone a little too hard on the margaritas last night, as the blaring noise made all of you reach for your aching heads. 

Upon picking up your phone to switch off the alarm, you spotted a text from Maverick in the squadron group chat, telling everyone to meet at the beach behind the Hard Deck for today's training.

You all took turns to shower and get changed. 

Halo borrowed a white one-piece bathing suit from you and covered it with some gym shorts and a t-shirt. Phoenix opted for a black sports bra and black running shorts. 

You went with a little number you'd been begging to try out - a light yellow bikini, one that crossed as it tied. The colour looked fantastic against your skin tone, and even the sight of it made you feel a little prettier. You covered yourself with loose grey sweat shorts, and a loose grey cropped top. Your hair dried naturally, leaving it in soft waves that echoed the curls of your mother's hair.

You returned downstairs to find Phoenix cooking breakfast, and happily made yourself a plate, now that you had all recovered somewhat.

 Just as you finished putting away the now clean dishes, the doorbell rang. 

When you opened your door, there was no one, but at your feet sat a huge bouquet of pink roses. You looked around, not seeing anyone, and picked up the flowers, walking through to the kitchen and placing them on the counter.

"Woah! Those are gorgeous!" Halo exclaimed, "are they from Rooster?" You rolled your eyes, and went to open the note, but it was plucked from your hands by Phoenix.

Hey Sweets,
I'm sorry about yesterday. I hope these help you to forgive me.
-J x

You smiled as you listened to the note, placing the flowers in some fresh water and a vase.

"Jake Seresin sent you flowers. Huh." Phoenix said, leaning over the counter toward you.

"Yes, he did." you said, eyebrow raised, "He text last night after I rejected his calls, apologising. It was kinda sweet, actually. Told me how scared he was that he'd lose me."

"He makes it so hard to hate him." she said, and you laughed. 

"Then don't hate him! He's a sweetheart, Tash, and you know that! Way, way deep down."

You and Phoenix drove to the beach in her truck, Halo following in her own vehicle. 

The sight of the ocean waves crashing onto the beach lifted your spirits immediately. The beach was your happy place - other than being in the sky behind the drive shaft of an F-18 - and it calmed your anxiety like nothing else. 

Pouring out of the truck, you see the rest of the squadron already throwing a football around with Maverick. 

When they noticed you, they shouted greetings and waves, motioning for you to join once you were settled. 

You saw that Maverick had set up a little chair, so you opted to place your bag containing towels and sunscreen down there, kicking off your shoes, and bending down to grab your sunglasses.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me!" you grunted to yourself, tossing the bag away from you, empty handed.

"Ouch, that didn't sound very pleasant, Wolfy." a voice said from behind you.