TWENTY SEVEN

Home. 

Finally, you were home. 

Away from the stink of the carrier, away from the noise of the aircrafts. 

Away from everything. 

Just you, Rooster, and home. 

Over the last couple of days since the mission was complete, it started to seem that perhaps, Rooster and home were one and the same. 

But you were okay with that.

Rooster had not left your side since you returned to Miramar, and no one dared to complain. 

Phoenix went to stay with Fanboy for a few days, and even Maverick gave the two of you space, letting you revel in your new-found relationship. 

It was truly bliss.

Tonight, that would change, though. 

Cyclone, at the request of his superiors, had organised a small celebration at Top Gun. From what you'd heard, they'd decked out the training hangar in décor, a stage, and several tables. It was to be a proper reception for the returning heroes of the Dagger Squad, and many important people were said to attend.

"Do we really have to go?" Rooster whined from your lap; your fingers laced through his hair.

"Yes, Bradley, we have to go."

"But I don't wanna."

"You're such a kid." You chuckled, "You're literally going to be hailed a hero."

Rooster sat up, pouting as he shoved your hand away, crossing his arms and turning away from you. 

Giggling, you ruffled his hair, standing up.

"W-where you goin'?" he called as you reached the stairs.

"I'm going to shower and get ready."

He perked up at that, standing to follow you slowly, "Shower, huh?" he smirked.

"Yes, a shower," you smiled, "Wanna join me?"

Instead of responding, Rooster jumped at you, making you squeal as his arms wrapped around you. 

He guided you up the stairs, peppering small kisses on your neck and shoulder, both of you giggling. 

Absolute bliss.

You couldn't help but audibly gasp when you entered the hangar. 

It really was dressed up to the 'nines. Your hair was curled elegantly, and it was sitting just right, draping over your shoulders. 

On your body was a long, satin, golden-yellow gown. You looked truly breath-taking. It was weird not to be wearing your dog-tags, but your F-18 necklace sat neatly between your collarbones. 

Unsurprisingly, Rooster was at your hip, one hand resting on your waist, making sure he was keeping you close. He was clad in a dark grey suit, with a tie that matched your dress.

"You're already matching, how disgusting." A voice said.

You turned, and smiled widely at the person, "Jake!" you squealed as you moved from Rooster's grip to hug him tightly.