SEVEN

You drew a deep breath as you moved to make yourself comfortable once more on the stubby little barstool in the trophy room. 

The others were dotted around, exhausted after today's drills. 

Your attention was pulled back to the radio as you heard Hangman's voice. 

It was the final session of the final day of dogfighting drills before you moved onto the next part of the mission, and Hangman and Rooster were the last pair to face Maverick.

"So, Rooster, mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Would it matter if I did?"

"What's the story with you and Maverick? Seems like he's got you a little rattled." Hangman quipped, and you smiled, shaking your head. 

You nosey asshole, Jake.

"That's none of your business. Now where the hell is he?"

"Been here the whole time," Maverick said, and swung his aircraft over Rooster's to sit upside down on top of him, "You see me now? Come on, let's get it over with."

Your body perked up, and you leaned forward to listen intently, not liking the tone evident in their voices. 

You held a hesitant hand over the walkie, ready to step in. 

Lucky you were paying attention, because the two tumbled around each other, ending up in a downward cobra spiral.

"What the fuck is it with these two, Wolfy?" Hangman called out for you.

"Stay back, Hangman, this isn't something I want you involved in." you said over the radio, "If they wanna act like children, let them."

"Yes ma'am, anything for you." Hangman said, pulling his jet back to keep his distance.

Rooster lost a little concentration in hearing your voice in his comms, thinking back to his conversation with Phoenix the other day, don't fight with Mav. 

But it was too late, he was too into the anger he was feeling, and he was sick of Maverick always getting the better of him in these sessions.

"How low do you wanna go, Rooster?"

"I can go as low as you sir, and that's saying something!"

"What's past is past, for both of us."

"You'd like to believe that, wouldn't you?"

You gnawed on your fingernails anxiously, not knowing how to handle the situation. 

Phoenix and Bob had come over, a comforting hand on your shoulder as they too listened, worried expressions on their faces. 

Hangman's voice yet again pulled you out of your frozen state.

"Hard deck is 5,000 feet fellas, you are running out of room." 

Yep, the two most important people in your life were barrelling toward the ground, and fast.

"Maverick, Rooster you pull out of this right now!" you yelled into the microphone, but they both ignored you, "That is an order!"

Your breathing was panicked, watching as they ignored you, the number on the altitude metre dropping. 

2500ft... 1900ft... 1000ft... 900ft... 650ft

You grabbed Phoenix's hand, squeezing your eyes shut to prepare yourself for the announcement that they'd crashed.