THIRTEEN

"Why are they dead?" Maverick said to Phoenix.

"We broke the 300 foot ceiling and a SAM took us out."

"No. Why are they dead?" Maverick asked again, to Coyote this time.

"I slowed down and didn't give her a warning. It was my fault."

"Was there a reason you didn't communicate with your team?"

"I was focusing on-"

"One that their family will accept at the funeral?"

It was brutal. 

That was the only word for it. 

Going over mistakes again and again was only frustrating everyone, and making their flying worse. It was frustrating, and every time they failed, Maverick got even more so. 

Every time they failed was another nail in the coffin that Cyclone was building for your father, every fail was a step closer to the end of his career. And you, well you couldn't do a thing about it.

"What happened?" Maverick turned to Hangman.

"Well, I flew as fast as I could, kinda like my ass depended on it." he replied, smirking towards you. 

With a shake of your head, you knocked his ego down a little.

"And, you put your team in danger and your wingman's dead." Rooster said.

"They couldn't keep up." Hangman shrugged, resting a toothpick between his teeth.

Now it was Rooster's turn. 

They made it to the target, yes, but over a minute late, and tensions were rising beyond your control. You took a deep breath, bracing yourself for what was to come.

"Why are you dead? You're team leader up there. Why are you, and why is your team dead?" Maverick pressed.

"Sir, he's the only one who made it to the target." Phoenix said, trying her best to diffuse things.

"He gave enemy aircraft time to shoot him down. He is dead."

"You don't know that." Rooster bit back.

"You're not flying fast enough. You don't have a second to waste." Hangman voiced.

"He's right, Rooster." you said. 

It was true, Hangman was right, Rooster was flying too slow and it was costing lives.

"We made it to the target." Rooster shot back at you, his face showing his frustration clearly.

"And superior enemy aircraft intercepted you on your way out." Maverick said.

"Then it's a dogfight." Rooster argued, and you tipped your head back, biting your lip to stop yourself getting involved whilst placing down your files.

"Against fifth generation fighters? In an F-18?"

"It's not the plane, sir, its the pilot." Rooster said, raising his voice.

"Exactly!" Maverick yelled. 

You jumped, as did most of the room, not expecting Maverick to have reacted like this.

"Dad..." you gasped, shocked, and seeing the way Rooster's face dropped at Maverick's words made your heart hurt.

"There's more than one way to fly this mission." Rooster said, his voice now at a lower volume.

"You really don't get it," Hangman interjected, "On this mission, a man flies like Maverick here, or a man doesn't come back. No offence intended." he nodded to Phoenix.