NINETEEN

You burst into the hospital wing, the nurse not far behind you, and you saw Phoenix hugging Bob, both of them with upset features. 

Maverick stood in the room, and turned slowly to face you, breathing shakily with glassy eyes.

"Please tell me it's not true." you squeaked out.

"I-I can't." Maverick said.

You lunged forward into his open arms, holding him tightly as sobs wracked both of your bodies. Whispering how sorry you were, your father held you tighter before Bob and Phoenix joined the embrace, both of them aware of what this loss meant to you.

Eventually, emotions were calmed, and now, you lay in your hospital cot with Maverick, who had already fallen asleep after today's stresses. 

Phoenix sat on a chair beside you as you talked, and Bob too had let sleep take him.

"You okay, honey?" She questioned, and you shrugged, "Mav said you'd gone to speak to Rooster?"

You scoffed, remembering the conversation, and she gave you a quizzical look. 

You turned to Maverick, checking that he was indeed asleep, and once satisfied, you told her the extent of your conversations with the two men.

"That son of a bitch, I'll kill him-"

"Tash, it's fine." you said weakly.

"(Y/N) I love you, but this isn't fine. After everything you went through to get each other back I swear to God-" 

Phoenix was cut off as the nurse from before entered the room, approaching you.

"Lieutenant Mitchell, there is a Lieutenant Bradshaw requesting to see you. I did tell him that it was after hours but he insisted I ask you."

You looked to the door, knowing he was just beyond it, and shook your head, tears filling your eyes again. 

Phoenix placed a reassuring hand on yours, stating she'd deal with him. 

You nodded, snuggling into Maverick and closing your eyes, desperate for this day to be over.

Phoenix followed the nurse into the waiting area, where Rooster was pacing anxiously.

"Phoenix!" he yelled when he saw her, "Is she okay? God I can't- this is gonna destroy her, shit."

"She's fine." Phoenix spoke bluntly, which made Rooster stop his pacing and approach her, "But you're not gonna be once I'm through with you."

Her voice dripped with venom, and it made him nervous, "Phoenix come on, I-"

"Oh no. You are not charming your way out of this with me, Bradshaw. She doesn't want me to kill you but I have seen her cry because of you for the last time! She doesn't deserve this shit."

"She's crying?" he questioned softly, shoulders sinking.

"Of course she's crying! You just broke her heart, again. Iceman just died. She almost died today."

Rooster fell into a seat, dropping his head into his hands as he let his own tears fall. 

His shoulders wracked with each shaky breath he released. 

Phoenix wanted to feel for him, she did, but her loyalty lay with you. He'd majorly crossed the line this time.

"You know, Hangman may be an ass, but he has never, ever, made her cry. Not once. I saw him cry for the first time today. He cried for her. And what did you do? You told her dad that it was his fault."